Thought my Tranny was on the way out...Solved

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jtwh20, Sep 7, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. jtwh20

jtwh20 New Member

My 95 burb with 199842 miles ( i got it at 180K) was starting to "hunt" in between overdrive and 3rd on the highway...
    I figured damn I don't want to have to replace this....

So here is what I did...

Transmission filer and gasket - no change
    Fuel filter - no change
    Spark plugs - WOW the hunting is gone WTF who would've guessed...it shifts like a new car!!!

I'm gussing there was a slight / small missfire I was not able to feel until the RPMs were low and the transmission was running in hight gear, giving the impression it was a transmission issue...

wires, cap, and rotor are next on the list, but if your tranny is acting weird, throw a set of spark plugs at it for giggles - ya never know...
  2. moosetags

moosetags New Member 100 Posts

Great info, thanx!
  3. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

Thanks, that was great.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had a thunderbird in college and the mass airflow sensor went out and it seemed like the tranny was shot, it couldnt read anything correctly so it wouldnt let the tranny shift correctly. Funny how one thing can trigger something else completely not related
  5. alltimeqb

alltimeqb New Member

99 LT Tahoe Hunting between 3rd & OD

Thanks for that. I'm experiencing the same issue on a 99 Tahoe I bought in July. Has 160K on the truck, with a 70K tranny that was put in and I am thinking it's a sensor on the tranny but I'll try the spark plug thing AND the MAF.