1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on AFM and VVT in 5.3l? Buying used with little or no warranty

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by theflatlander, Jan 19, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. theflatlander

theflatlander New Member

Well my old POS F150 is finally shot I think. Needs a rebuilt motor and that would be worth more then the truck.

My friend at work has been bragging up his newer Silverado and the mileage he gets. I read some horror stories about AFM and VVT at first when they were comming out with and the trucks not firing on certain cylinders and burning lots of oil.

Should I stay away from buying a used Silverado with little to no warranty that has AFM and VVT? or has the problem's been fixed and I have nothing to worry about? Any years and sub models I should stay away from?

2. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

It's a hit or miss kind of thing. Some never have any problem, others have nothing but problems. First thing, if you do purchase one, is disable the AFM immediately. If the engine has not had a problem, you might be able to dodge one. If it has had a problem, sometimes it will clear up with the AFM deleted. Only a very small minority of folks seem to have a love affair with AFM. Most of us have no desire for it to be a functional thing, so we disable it.