1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Thoughts on Bosch O2 sensors vs. Factory?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tachyon, May 8, 2013.

1. Tachyon

Tachyon Rockstar 100 Posts

Not far down the road I want to replace my O2 sensors. I'm considering using the Bosch models instead of the factory ones.
    Any opinions on this? Better yet, does anyone have any experience with the Bosch sensors?

Check my signature for my vehicle specs so you know what engine and year I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I just put one (a Bosch O2 sensor) into my truck ... as in 3ish weeks ago. No issues. Get the OEM fitment instead of the universal fitment. It may also help to bring the old one in with you. I mention that because I knew exactly what I needed, told them what I needed ("bank 2 downstream O2 sensor for a 04 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L v8 gasser, please"), they looked it up and sold it to me ... and when I got home it had the wrong connector on it. This was not Bosch's fault, it was the store's fault. I did my own lookup and went back with both the part number and the bum O2 sensor so I could make damn sure they didn't nail me, again. :)

As for replacing your sensors ... when my passenger side downstream sensor began to go, I talked to my mechanic (I don't do certain things on my truck ... yet ... so I actually have a pair of mechanics I've known for years and trust completely) because I'm a preventative maintenace type of guy ... and considered replacing all four of them. He suggested I deal with them each as they go rather than all at once ... saying some might croak and some may last until it's time to crush the truck -- so why spend the money unless you have to. *shrug* I took his advice.

Do you have multiple sensors that are shot, or something?
  3. Tachyon

Tachyon Rockstar 100 Posts

That's good news. BTW, do you have stock computer programming or flashed?

Anyway, good to hear. I'm thinking of replacing all 4 just to get it over with as at least two of them are intermittent. I just wanted to get it over with and install 4 of them. They're not that expensive and I can do the job myself. I appreciate the feedback.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm running a custom tune. However, it made no difference and shouldn't for a stock tune, either. The computer has no idea what kind/brand of sensors are in the system; it merely cares that they are connected and sending the correct signals. The benefit of OEM fitment is that the wires are precisely the same length as OEM sensors ... so you don't have an extra wad of wire to either cut/trim/reconnect or tuck somewhere and hope it doesn't gshort, get caught on something (like brush) under the truck, and/or break.

You might check for breaks in the wires of your intermittent sensors -- it's a common problem and is often the cause of intermittent operation. i.e. It could be that a simple wire repair will resolve the issue ... and cost you next to nothing. If, however, the code you're getting is about the heater resistance circuit, then replacement is probable, as the circuit within the sensor that pre-heats the sensor (so the computer doesn't have to wait for the vehicle to wam up) is failing.

If/when you do your replacements, I strongly recommend the use of anti-seize compound (just as you might on spark plugs), else the next time you go to tackle them you may run into one that just won't turn.
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have NTK's in my truck... went in without any issues... were direct fit. I'm happy with them.