1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

throttle body cleaning/ fuel problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by script0207, Apr 20, 2009.

1. script0207

script0207 New Member

My 02 silverado had been having trouble starting so I replaced the fuel filter & it worked fine.(I replaced the fuel pump last year & I can hear it when the ignition is on.) the next morning it wouldnt start at all so I sprayed carb cleaner into it & it started right up, it will run after the cleaner has burned, it will even turn on/off as normally after that, but once it sits several hours it wont start again. I took off the throttle body & cleaned it careful not to damage any seals or sensors now its running really sluggish & the "service engine" light is on plus it still has has trouble starting. Was I not as careful as I thought? what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Get the code read. Then go from there. Check for your nearest O'Reillys, most have a scanner you can use or try advance auto
  3. catbert

catbert New Member

TBs are pretty fragile - doesn't sound good.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

throttle body cleaning/fuel problem

You said you used a carb cleaner on your throttle body. Some carb cleaners will eat the clear coating thats on the throttle body blade off. If you use a carb cleaner check the can and see if it throttle body safe. If the clear coating gets removerd this can cause a rough idle and carbon and dirt will builded up.
  5. catbert

catbert New Member

Right on. CRC makes aerosol TB cleaner. It's worth the small investment to have around for all your cars.
  6. script0207

script0207 New Member

Is there some way to re-coat the inside of the TB? Do I need a new one? this is the last time I take my neighbors advice! Also I cant figure out why it wasnt starting before & now. I changed the fuel filter, Ive got good pressure, the pump is good, I run 91octane gas.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

throttle body cleaning/fuel problem

Theres no way that Ive ever seen to recoat a t/body. Can you see if the coating is peeling, maybe you got lucky and it didnt come off. If you do need a new t/body I got a new one from Scoggin-Dickey after shopping around for the best price. Dont waste your money on a bigger t/body as they really dont help a basic stock motor. I had to replace mine after my black lab decided to take it off my work bench and take it into the woods(this is not the first time shes done something like this) I never have found it.
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

may want to check your fuel pressure regulator, should be on the drivers side of the motor towards the top just under the lip of the plastic cover, should be a small vacuum line pull that off and if gas comes out even a little then you should replace it
  9. script0207

script0207 New Member

thanks for all your responses guys, I dont see any coating chipping or peeling it just looks really clean (shiny)
  10. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

Have you had the code read? I would start there.