Throttle body for 2000 silverado 5.3

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ToreadorZ, Jul 27, 2009.

1. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

Anyone have experience with an aftermarket throttle body? How much differwence do they make and will an 80 or 85mm one work better with my mods: Vararam intake, BBK 1-3/4 shorty headers, Gibson Supertruck exhaust, MSD 8.5 wires, AC delco iridium plugs gapped at .060, Jet billet servo, Diablo tuner.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Won't make a big difference that would be worth the price to it. The best way to go is get your throttle body ported by a well known porter. Since you'll have idle issues if done incorrectly.

3. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

while contemplating a cam step-up (comp 206/212 115 lobe sep 800-5800 powerband grind #249-54-450-11) I've thrown on all the bolt-ons. The next step or option are a set of 1.85 rockers w/ pushrods and springs. I'm assuming that either or both of these mods would benefit from a larger TB. I'm trying to keep the grunt down low as I can't see the point in a 5000lb vehicle with a power band in the 4-6k range

4. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

your grunt wont change much unless you change your cylinders heads to a larger ports or go to a wild cam with an basic operation range of over 1500 rpms or higher as for the throttle body thats basic engine performance 101 the more air you can force in the more power your gonna produce

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I see you have a Vararam intake. I have one a Vararam volacity stack in my throttle body and I think that would work better than a bigger t/body and compement the Vararam intake. Your stock t/body is good for up to 400 hp.