1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

throttle body spacer plates?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

I'm looking at all the little tricks to get better gas millage, cause apparently CNG cant go on my truck....

So I was wondering if a throttle body spacer plate is a good idea.
    Do you have one?
    Does it make a difference like "they" claim?

Which is better, straight trough like this http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...vroletblazer19921995transdaptt372734193thbosp

or the channel carved version, like this
    http://exhaustrack.com/i-8493278-airaid-200-540-poweraid-throttle-body-spacer.html
    claims it spins, or "vortexes" the air....

would apprecaite any advice. Thanks all!
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The question I always ask myself when I look at a new claim of MPG improvement, if this is such a great idea, why is GM not using it.

GM, and the others, have gov mandated goals to reach, if a spacer (or, a cast rise) produced these claimed results, GM would have used it.

Snake oil.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is an argument that will go on forever. There are those who swear that they work and others who say that they don't. Let's take a look at the science of the thing... The claim is that the spacer allows the fuel to atomize better. In actuality, the spacer can get in the way of smooth airflow... Particularly the ones that are threaded like big nuts.

The idea that a 3/4" spacer plate serves to atomize fuel, making the gasoline droplets smaller is about like saying that by raising a cloud by 3/4" would serve to make smaller rain drops. If anything, you are introducing friction loss by adding an additional surface area to the fuel delivery path. That loss would be negligible, but there nonetheless.

In some cases, these spacers will cause poor economy and performance. Occasionally, they will even cause the service engine light to come on on some vehicles. The thing people don't realize that once you make changes to the fuel delivery system, the computer will do everything it possibly can to re-adjust the fuel delivery settings to compensate for the changes you made by putting the plate on to start with.

So let's suppose for the sake of the discussion that the throttle plate gives you a generous 5 horsepower gain... The only way you will ever see your gains are by using a dyno. You will never see any detectable gains in the real world.

At the end of the day, the only benefit you stand to gain is the placebo gain. It works better because you believe that it works better. You would be better off keeping your 50 dollars in your pocket.

Now sit back and watch as the believers come into this thread and bash me. LOL!!!
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. K15 Blazer Guy

LOL!
    well put gentlemen.
    yeah, i was quite sceptical about the "treaded" one especially... it goes against everything "horse power". These seem more like the reminance of carburated technology, trying to still be applied...

but remember, there is (almost) never 1 thing you can do to just "get better gas millage" it needs to be a system of things. even oil can help, or hurt.
    im just wondering if a spacer would contribute to it effectivly.

right now i have a K&N in the stock intake housing, an upgraded ignition coil for bigger bang, and a new 195 thermostat for fast warm up and perfect op. temp. i also sea-foamed the crap out of it (i figure thats a 15,000 tune up you should do)
    i now adverage 15mpg, and i mostly do city...
    soon i will also have an electric fan (no more mechanical, ive seen this add signifigant HP first hand)

but has anyone actually bough and installed one of these?

unless someone checks their MPG as religously as me, i may just need to try it. it would be easy to install, and return if it sucks... lol
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Save your money... Remember It's a TRUCK!!! Your NOT going to Avg 20 MPG.... If you Avg 14-16 you are doing good, If you Avg 18-20 You are GOD... I have Never heard anything good about the Spacers or the Twist things that go in your Air Tubes. My friend at K&N has told me that they have done Tons of tests with all these products and never had anything good to say about them...
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I actually get 19/22 on my 95 K1500. It IS a V6 5 speed manual though... With NO modifications. All factory. LOL!!!
  7. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

Like said witchcraft ..spacers even the chips are if they done a 1/4 what they advertise i would own a company that soldem ..
  8. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

I must be GOD :rofl:

And yes its a V8..... 4.8L :rules:
  9. K15 Blazer Guy

lol
    yeah 18-20 would be nice as an adverage... but i think i get 22 on the higway easily. Which is what they brag about for BRAND NEW GM trucks.... like its something new lol
    so, the TBI is still basically a carburator... so i guess besides the electric fan, or maybe hedders, nothing more would help; only hinder.

was talking to a guy at a car show yesturday, we was saying the 'torando vortex sheet metal" things "really do work".... so i says, i says; why would you want the air flowing into the engine to hit a metal edge and be forced to change direction? that goes against EVERYTHING in the history of engines and HP, and why dont you have one on your car? lol

so yeah... marketing. thats all it is.
    Thanks everyone!

i got got a 4,000+ CFM, ford/lincon mark 8 fan, so ill hafta post some pics for that install soon =)
  10. jt1200r

jt1200r New Member

i had one of those on for a while. didnt do anything that i could tell.its off now .you want to buy it ?