1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle body spacer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by TUTONE, Apr 28, 2009.

1. TUTONE

TUTONE Rockstar

What is the function of a throttle body spacer? They claim better gas mileage and increased horsepower; is this true? I have a 1990 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban 5.7L TBI and was looking for a relatively inexpensive way to increase HP and MPG. The engine has over 185,000 miles (still runs great) and I know it's probably about time for a rebuild but until then... I do a lot of towing (mostly firewood and building materials) so any little thing I could do would help.

Thanks

Frank
  2. bnlake

bnlake New Member

This will allow more air into the throttle body which will alter your Air/Fuel Ratio for the better. You should only be getting about 5HP from it but it's a pretty inexpensive mod
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, they do help a lot and are worth the investment, IMO. I got mine from CFM and love it.
  4. TUTONE

TUTONE Rockstar

I was looking at one from Airaid in an LMC magazine. Should come with all necessary hardware, or so it says. Just checked the one at CFM and it's about $20 cheaper. I like this little aspect,
    "- Each cylinder can now draw air from both throttle bores. Two hole straight and "helix" spacers can not flow as much air as our TBI Power Plates because they are only drawing air from one throttle bore! ". Sounds like the way to go. I've never heard of CFM Tech. before; thanks for the input.

Frank
  5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I ordered mine thought a local shop, checked 5 different warehouses, and i picked mine up for $120 CND. I noticed an increase in low end torque, and a little increase in gas mileage. In the long run, it will eventually pay for itself, so i would recommend you pick one up.
  6. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have the AirAID TBS. It does add a little more throttle responsiveness and maybe added some low end power. Overall, I think I may have gained 2 HP from it.

On a side note, the AirAID one makes a whistling sound when the RPMs get high. It sounds cool, but after a while it gets annoying.