Throttle Body Spacer

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by SGT_Z85, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SGT_Z85

SGT_Z85 New Member

Can someone please tell me what exactly the perpose of a TBS is? Will it add HP, torque or MPG? If so, how hard are they to install? Does brand matter? Do they come in different spacer sizes? I have a NBS 07 with the 4.8 and Magnaflow exhaust if that makes a difference. I see them posted on the list of mod's that most people have, so I figure they've gotta be somewhat useful, I just dont know what they do. :lol:

2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

from what ive been hearing theyre worhless.but i cant speak from experience, ive never tried one.from what i understand they worked great on older motor where the fuel was sprayed before the TBS.so you had a mixture of aire and fuel..BUT..with motors these days all they do it is making a whistling noise because the only thing flowing through them is air.i may be wrong but thats what ive been hearing

3. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

My wife's 98 Suburban has one of those on it. she averages about 3-5 mpg better than my tahoe that does not have one. However, My tahoe has more power. Both trucks have TBI 5.7 L engines. both have K&N air filters, E3 plugs, and both are run on Mobil 1 oil with the lucas addative. hers differs in that it has a mega light aluminum drive shaft on it. mine is steel, that may help with the mileage on hers too but aside from the obvious thing of hers being longer with the 3rd row seat and the TBI spacer the trucks are identical

that's what i noticed similarity and difference wise. aside from a couple more MPG difference that's it of course now keep in mind also my truck only has 140,000 and hers because of all the highway miles she has to drive to work every day has 218,000 on it right now. her trans was rebuilt last july, mine has not been yet.

4. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

They are good for a cool sound that is all. On a nbs chevy they are a waste of money. They make no difference on the dyno what so ever.

5. strantor

strantor New Member

I had one on my '89 4.3L back about 6yrs ago in high school. All I remember is being very disappointed, no improvement in gas mileage (factor in 17y/o behind the wheel, it would cancel out even if the mileage had improved) and no noticeable power gain.

6. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They sound cool but are of no real added value to a newer truck. The air flow gets disrupted causing turbulence which produces heat, which inturns reduces the density of the air reducing the air charge, contributing to more fuel than air which decreases mileage.

Thiat is my take on throttle body spacers.

7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They are supposed to increase the airflow and produce more power. Like others have said they are a waste of money on your Chevy. Save your money for a nice exhaust system.

8. LivysMan

LivysMan Member

I really like my Street & Performance Electronics TBS!!! I had a PowerAid but I didn't like it..

9. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

do any of you that said they were worthless have or had on on your truck?? i have one on my truck, and before i put it on i was getting 19mpg, now im getting 21.5 mpg on the highway. also noticed a little more torque

10. yotchie

yotchie Rockstar 100 Posts

they could only make a difference on tbi engines. i was told they were supposed to agitate the air and fuel making a more complete mixture. but that is only supposed works on TBI engines.