1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle Body Spacer

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Schwindle, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Schwindle

Schwindle Member

So I bought a spacer online and when I looked under the hood to assess the install, I noticed that the intake tube would be in the way of the engine fan. Is there some way I can extend the fan more forward or what? I thought about having the spacer machined down but then it would almost seem pointless to even install it... Im stuck.
  2. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Not that i know of. I've seen tons of posts saying that if you have the K&N intake then you cant have a TBS because of that exact reason.
  3. Schwindle

Schwindle Member

Well from what I've read it doesnt even sound like TBS' are even worth the time... Thanks tho.
  4. dpscranton

dpscranton New Member

i have throttle body spacer on my 88 sierra, and all it has caused me is problems. the throttle can get stuck on occasion with no warning.
  5. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

wow just cause one person says they have problems, doesn't mean every one will, i have had mine for 2 year, absolutely no problems, and it improved mpg. im pulling 18mpg in the city with my truck, and that is the only upgrade i have
  6. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Sounds like we need to take a poll--own 1 and it works or own 1 and its worthless. Just a thought on clearing the mud from this issue
  7. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

I try not to be a pessimistic person but from the experiences I have had and problems, and what ive read, TBS are not really worth it.

but since you have one, you are 100% correct. you cannot use a TBS in MOST cases with the stock intake tube. You will have to purchase an aftermarket kit ( AIRAID is my favorite ) or make you own like I did, and or install an electric fan. So in my humble opinion get the cold air kit as its going to work best with teh TBS but make sure you get one that will accomodate the intake tube.

OR, ask ^^^^ 5speed there how he got his in.
  8. 5speedsilverado

im just saying, so many people say they dont do anything and they havent even owned one, now my truck, my dads 02 and new 05 jeep, and my moms old 04 hemi all had one, and it did increase the mileage, with a little power gain.

on my truck, i have efans that came with it, so no issues their

[​IMG]
    not the best picture, but it is in their, and has been for 2 years
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  9. Schwindle

Schwindle Member

What if I were to have it chopped in half? I have a buddy that can do it... the only thing more it would cost me is my time... I'd rather not put in an electric fan.
  10. 5speedsilverado

i wouldn't do that, you might loose the effects