Throttle body spacer

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by eyegore, Nov 14, 2009.

1. eyegore

eyegore New Member 100 Posts

Looking to add the K & N Air filter system to my '07 Silverado LTZ with the 6.0 liter engine. It was also recomended to me to add a throttle body spacer. As I don't know much about these, are there any brands better than the rest? or are they pretty much the same?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've never bothered trying one. Can't see how one chunk of aluminum would be better than another. There are lots of posts about spacers. Try a keyword search, while waiting for the gang to chime in with their recommendations.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the airraid one but I dont think it does much on the newer trucks. It might do something on TBI or carbs. they are supposed to cause turbulance in the air to help atomize the fuel for better burning. But in the direct injected systems the air and fuel arent being mixed until its in the chamber and i dont think there is much of turbulance left at that point.
  4. eyegore

eyegore New Member 100 Posts

Maybe I'll just go with the K&N air intake and see what I can gain from that. Thanks for the replys.
  5. Texasballa24

Texasballa24 New Member

I have the S&B intake, and it is far better then the k&N. I have owned both. The S&B will give you better gas milage, and supposedly better horsepower, but i havnt noticed much yet. If your going to get a spacer too (which i would recommend) make sure you get both from the same company. I know AirRaid, and AEM both make intakes, and spacers. I cant tell you which ones better, but if you mix and match companies they might not fit properly.
  6. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

I have an Airraid spacer with an Airraid intake, and I gained no improvements, just sound. The spacer adds a whistle under load is about all. IMO, it's not even worth spending the money on the spacer.
  7. LivysMan

LivysMan New Member

I have a Speed & Performance Electronics TBS and I love it!!! I had a PowerAid but did not like it!! like Jimmeh said, the PowerAid does whistle bad!! but I have the K&N 57 series CAI and I love it!! those two are my two biggest mpg helpers!!
  8. catbert

catbert New Member

If a machined piece of aluminum could increase power or gain gas mileage, GM would be all over it as OEM.
  9. LivysMan

LivysMan New Member

believe what u wish :fighting0072:
  10. Mariner

Mariner New Member

When I put the spacer in I noticed a small increase in throttle response. A very small increase of gas pedal would kick down a gearand giddy up. However the best thing you can do is add headers and high flow exhaust. That is an immediate boost you can feel with no doubt!