1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

throttle body spacer

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by tgibson12, Jul 25, 2007.

1. tgibson12

tgibson12 New Member

What exactly does a throttle body spacer do performance wise?

waste of money or not?
  2. GaryL

GaryL New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have not used one, but I have heard that they give an increase of power on a TBI engine, but not on a multi-port fuel injection engine.
  3. tgibson12

tgibson12 New Member

well my truck is TBI.

so I guess it wont hurt to buy one and find out.
  4. GaryL

A friend of mine put one of the ones with the groove cut into it to make the air swirl more on his Dakota. He said it made more power, but it made a whine like a turbo does. He took it off after a while because it drove him nuts.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

how did it affect his fuel mileage?
  6. GaryL

Don't know that, he doesn't count gallons.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

I pput a TB spacer on my 87 Blazer and that plus a chip woke it right up anb boosted performance. I never figured mileage on it though. I would however recommend installing one.
  8. Chev2tehCore

Chev2tehCore New Member

Thanks Man...I have been on the fence about getting one for my 1995 but I didn't see anyone saying that they actually work.

What about the whining sound? I have to admit my hearing isn't that good. I probably wouldn't even hear it. I think I am going to order a Helix Spacer. Which one did you use?
  9. Dj Friction

Dj Friction New Member

You know you got me thinking about this .....and frankly I didn't really put much thought into the idea, however, I started looking for a spacer for my 95 2500 Suburban 4x4 7.4 TBI. There is no listing for that model.
    They have a listing for the CK Pickup 7.4, but the carb numbers do not match.

Any idea's why????

Is it the air cleaner spacing?

Computer make-up

?????Any Help
    Thanks
  10. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

Mine was a Helix and I purchased that plus the chip through JC Whitney. I think was are sponsored through them and get a discount if I'm not mistaken if you go through the link on our web site.

As far as the whine or whisteling sound, I only heard it every so often but it just made me feel like it was doing what it was supposed to do by creating a turbine or cyclone with the air/gas mixture causing an increase in performance.