1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle body spacers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by SoonerSilverado11, Apr 9, 2008.

1. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, just had a few questions about them and wondered what you thought about them. First off, I have heard both ends saying they are worth it and can feel a little bit of difference, but have also heard not worth it and can't feela difference at all. What do you guys think?

Also I have heard about a whistling noise? Something about smooth bore gets a whistling noise where the others do not? What does this whisteling sound like? Is it annoying or does it make it sound something like a turbo-type of whistle?

And I am looking at buying the Trans-dapt or Airaid from Summit Racing.
  2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

Not worth the money, no noticeable improvement at all. I had installed the Airaid one @ a dealer I worked for and yes they do whistle and it gets annoying! and I was just road testing them!
  3. SoonerSilverado11

Does it really? What does it sound like?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I gotta agree, they arent worth the money (although I did keep one I bought to use as a paper weight and reminder not to waste money on foolish items).
    The whistle is almost the same as when you have a window cracked and are running down the highway at speed.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea not worth the money and time... wont add much noticable power if any. the whistle isnt that bad it sounds kinda turboish but may get annoying
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would have to say that it really depends on the application because some vehicles do benefit from installing a TB spacer. I put one on my 87 Blazer 350 TBI and MAN what an improvement! I do understand it's like comparing apples to oranges with my Blazer compared to the newer Vortec engines but I had to speak up because my spacer did me good!
  7. SoonerSilverado11

Ya, thanks for a positive story. Because I had been looking elsewhere to see what everyone else is saying and other people have actually had good experiences with them. Plus, the Trans-dapt has a no whistle design if that is what was so annoying. and at $63 shipped witha little bit of gain, it sounded like a good idea.
  8. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

from what i have heard it can depend on alot of the other mods you have as far as intake and exhaust, if you really want to give it a good power gain, do new intake, tb spacer and full exhaust.

this may just be the tuner car coming out from me but my intake on my celica whistled and i got asked all the time what kind of turbo i had. granted this was a toyota product with only 4 cylinders and not 8
  9. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree. My TB space only really made a differance after I did my coldair intake and a bigger exhaust. Don't really get the whistle through. Mabey I should turn the radio down.
  10. SoonerSilverado11

Well, I have exhaust, not a full system just 1 in 2 out with 3" tips. I am working on getting a k&n CAI but havent been paid for playing in our basketball band yet. So once I get that money I will likely be able to get my intake and go ahead and start looking for spacers then due to the fact that they are around $60 shipped. It is not so much that I am looking for power gains, more so on the efficiency gains. Every little bit will help. However, you know, if I do gain power I won't argue :p