1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle Body Spacers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MTM, Apr 3, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM New Member 100 Posts

Okay I've been told so many different things on throttle body spacers. I want to know if anyone has put one on a 5.7 and what your pros and cons are
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have never heard anything good about them..
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member 100 Posts

I have one on my 4.8. All it did was give my truck a whistle. No power enhancements, no economy enhancements, nothing. If I had paid for it, I would be more disappointed, but I got it in a package deal with a buddy of mine.
  4. Asphalt Animal

Asphalt Animal New Member 100 Posts

I once read on one of the CAI manufacturers web sites that if they don't make one to go along with their intake, it doesn't do anything to enhance performance, and isn't of any use. They mentioned something about intake efficiency/volume.....

I don't see much reason for them unless someone can show a dyno result proving that it works on that particular application.
  5. Jimmeh

Mine is the same brand as my CAI, which I can also tell you is pointless for a daily driver.
  6. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They are a total waste of money. It's like standing on a chair to get a closer look at the moon.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

ROFL - I love the analogy and am of the opinion that it's absolutely correct. Throttle body spacers are a bit like snake oil in that there's no compelling proof one way or another that they're good for anything other than draining your wallet. Caveat emptor.
  8. Jimmeh

I will suggest that if you do plan on standing on a chair to get a better look at our solar system, please choose a solid chair that does not rock or spin. Concussions are an evil mistress.
  9. MTM

MTM New Member 100 Posts

Exactly what i wanted to see. I'm tired of all the mixed opinions but all these so far are the same so pretty much answers my question.

Only person I have talked to that like it was a friend that put one but his was a tbi not an sfi. Said it just gave him great throttle response
  10. CowsPatoot

CowsPatoot New Member

I am quoting the following from http://60degreev6.com/content.php/114-Throttle-Body-Spacer ...this is a site for a different engine than our trucks have, but the point is the same.

Port injection

The TB spacer is meant to keep the throttle body cooler, by separating it from the manifold using a phenolic material instead of metal. The misconception is that by adding space behind the TB, you are going to get more torque.

The lowered temperature is fine, and is worthwhile (see TB coolant bypass), but the cost of a spacer and the remaining intake manifold temperature doesn't do a whole lot on its own. The performance myth with this device is that it allows more air in, or that it lengthens the runners, or anything else along these lines.

The torque curve is dependent on a lot of things, but for the TB related part, its actually not even related. The plenum, while connected to the runners, aren't part of the runner equation. You would have to lengthen the runners themselves to do anything. Actually, even this doesn't seem to work from testing on a 3100 with 1" spacers between the lower and upper intake. You would likely have to change the volume of the runners much more than just extending them will do.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with the plenum. The plenum volume is important to performance and the RPM range of the powerband, but the TB spacer isn't going to have any effect on this because its volume is minimal.

The only real value to a Throttle Body spacer is for a NOS setup. You can drill a hold in the spacer for a NOS injector. It is easier to work with a separate piece for the nitrous injector, and it is easier to return the car to normal later.

TBI, Carb

Unlike the port injected manifolds, a spacer that goes under the carb or throttle body will help out for performance. The extra space will help the air fuel mixture atomize, which will burn more efficiently. The myth part is for the port injected motors only.
    1 person likes this.