Throttle Body Spacers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MTM, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

You can't really force gobs of air into the system though on a daily driver with a CAI. Throttle Body Valve is going to let in just as much air as it would with a factory air intake unless you are running wide open throttle all the time (which if you are trying to save money at the pump is not exactly smart). At least that's my understanding. Again, CAI on my truck and never got any extra power out of it or noticeable throttle response. And by the time you spend money on a more free flowing exhaust, you're out more than you would have been in 5 years at the pump (might be slightly exaggerated on the 5 years, but seriously....)

Best thing to get better mileage is to get a tuner with a live trip econ calculator on it so you can actually see what your truck is getting with your foot on the gas pedal and adjust Gods mechanics on the bottom of your leg accordingly. You'll save money over getting a full on free flowing exhaust (because just getting a muffler and some custom pipe after the cats isn't going to be enough to get a noticeable increase) and will be learning how to squeeze out the best MPG's in your pig.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

even though things have been put very well on here I will throw in my .02. I put on a spacer and CAI at the same time. already had a magnaflow exhaust 4" to a 2 in 1 out muffler. As stated on a SFI motor the spacer does nothing but whistle at certain throttle positions. I recently removed my CAI and put the factory box on with an AMSOIL filter. I took off the CAI because when splashing through some bigger puddles I noticed I would get some water on the MAF and noticed some dirt getting by. When I looked at the stock box compared to the openings for the CAI the stock box had a larger opening and pulled from the front fender instead of down behind the light housing. I left the spacer on because I didnt feel like pulling the TB. At normal driving I have noticed no difference in performance and no change in mileage, which as stated before makes sense because the TB valve is going to restrict how much air gets in. The one difference I have noticed is at WOT (which barely happens, only when people in front of me piss me off) it is not as loud (engine, exhaust etc) but not sure if power is different (hard to tell any way with 35's and 4.10's). So at WOT maybe I am not getting as much airflow but hopefully I am getting better filtration and the airflow will be the same at normal driving.

SUMMARY:
    That was a lot of writing to say that the Spacer is pointless and even a CAI may not be totally worth it for a daily driver.

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, I get that. The engine will pull in what it can and nothing more. I wrote that post on an iPad (which I HATE to type on - plus, I had 3 kids all pulling at me at the time... not to mention ADHD... so I am destined to OH LOOK! A SQUIRREL!... Oops... I am destined to leave an incomplete thought in a post like that one unless I am closed up in my studio with no distractions... Besides... Dora was fighting off Swiper the sneaky fox at the time...)

Where I was originally going with that and the forcing air in was that even if you were to add on a turbo or supercharger to force air into the engine, you can only put as much in as you can get out. If you add 12 pounds of boost thorough a hole the size of a bowling ball and then try to vent it out a 1 7/8" exhaust pipe, something's gonna blow... like trying to push a golf ball through a drinking straw... it just ain't gonna work. (Sucking the ball through the straw, on the other hand would just collapse the straw... end of experiment...) So, short of your engine block blowing up like a balloon, bad things would happen... blown intake gaskets, etc.

I hope this clarifies my "forcing" thought a bit.:rules:

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Cold air intakes do, indeed, show their performance gains mostly (only?) at wide open throttle. For daily drivers a cold air intake is merely a pricey addition that changes the sound of the vehicle -- slightly. :)

5. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Everything said makes perfect sense. Like i stated before that this truck sees a lot of highway and I have a big open flowing exhaust but stock induction. So that's why i started to look more into the TBS and a CAI. I think a CAI is for sure a done deal but not to sure yet if I want a spacer or not(Odds aren't to good right now)

6. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

aww man was going to try the chair thing. Oh well cloudy here anyways lol

like your signature ..this is so true.

7. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I'm telling you right now, you will be disappointed with the CAI. Get yourself a good drop in filter for your stock air box. My truck saw 36,000 miles the first year I owned it, almost all highway and after installing a CAI, I had absolutely no gains even with a more free flowing exhaust. I am not trying to be a downer, I'm trying to save you money!

8. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hate to contradict what you're saying but, with EFI live, going from stock intake system with a drop in K&N to the Air-Aid cold air intake and throttle body spacer, there was quite a noticeable different in the calculated maps i have done, gives you way more tuning possibilities for mileage and power.

I have a 2002 silverado 1500, with a 5.3l check my other options in my signature.

9. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

But what i really want to know is if anyone has them on a 5.7 not all these other motors. All the comments on here are from people with other motors most are all newer than mine and have a lot more electronics

10. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My buddy has a 1997 1500 with the 5.7l, with the airaid spacer, the thicker the spacer the better, gives more available air to initially suck into the cylinders. Here's a little low down...

The larger the larger the intake manifold is, how many cubic inches/liters/displacement the intake manifold can hold worth of air, the more low end torque it will produce, as it has more available air to use, but in turn, the larger the intake is, the less effective it will be at higher RPM's. Notice the difference between the LM7 5.3l intake manifold, and the LS1 intake manifold, the LM7's intake manifold is quite larger, much higher, compared to the LS1, but the LM7's gives more low end torque, while the LS1 gives more high rpm power.