1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Throttle Body

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by doublej, Mar 31, 2009.

1. doublej

doublej New Member

I have a 2007 classic z71........on the throttle body i noticed there is a coolant hose..(i guess to cool the air)....i remember back in the z28 days them having it and people removing the coolant hoses because it actually heated up the air................any one know of a way to do that and if its possible...

thanks

2007 Classic Chevy Z-71 LT 4 door
    5.3 L K&N CAI
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Jet Power Programmer
    Jet TB Spacer
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

I believe the purpose of it is to actually keep the TB from freezing up in cold weather, at least that's how it was explained to me.

What I did in the past is took the hose to Home Depot and found a brass fitting that had a spiget valve in it. I would close the valve in the summer and open it in the winter.
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

Yes it will keep the throttle body from freezing up in the colder months, but it actually doesn't produce as much heat as you might think. It's actually only a small water jacket about 3/4"x1/4", located on the bottom of the throttle body only, with two hose barbs on either side. The flow of air is generally fast enough through this part of the intake system that it doesn't raise the temp of the air, nearly as much as the intake itself does. If anything it would act more to cool the fluid as it passes through.

Bypassing this wouldn't result in much change to the incoming charge of air, if any.
  4. hunky

hunky New Member

I saw a by-pass kit on E-bay last week to eliminate this hose and "cool" the intake air.