1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Throw out bearing 2000 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by clinton_hedrick, Oct 20, 2012.

1. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

My truck has just started to make a whining noise when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. I think this is the throw out bearing, and if so, how big of a problem is this? The noise doesn't really bother me, and the clutch seems to grab and disengage fine. If not a throw out bearing, any suggestions? Thanks

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea it sounds like a throw out bearing, while not the easiest task to replace, it can be done in your driveway with jackstands and hand tools in an afternoon if your an average mechanic. A transmission jack will make the job much easier too.
    There's no way to tell how long it'll last after it starts squeeking, could last a day or it could last for years, I had a truck with a squeeky throwout bearing that I drove daily for 3 yrs on a 200mile commute.
    The only real problem it ever caused was a lower sale price when I got rid of it.

3. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

Thanks, I'll order a repair manual and see if I can replace it when I get some free time