Throw out bearing 2000 Sierra

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by clinton_hedrick, Oct 20, 2012.

1. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

My truck has just started to make a whining noise when the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. I think this is the throw out bearing, and if so, how big of a problem is this? The noise doesn't really bother me, and the clutch seems to grab and disengage fine. If not a throw out bearing, any suggestions? Thanks

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea it sounds like a throw out bearing, while not the easiest task to replace, it can be done in your driveway with jackstands and hand tools in an afternoon if your an average mechanic. A transmission jack will make the job much easier too.
    There's no way to tell how long it'll last after it starts squeeking, could last a day or it could last for years, I had a truck with a squeeky throwout bearing that I drove daily for 3 yrs on a 200mile commute.
    The only real problem it ever caused was a lower sale price when I got rid of it.

3. clinton_hedrick

clinton_hedrick New Member

Thanks, I'll order a repair manual and see if I can replace it when I get some free time