Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ticking noise from engine

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by pcreese, Sep 14, 2009.

1. pcreese

pcreese New Member

Hey all, i am new here and i am looking for advice! I have a 2000 silverado with the 5.3, lately i have heard a ticking noise from the engine. I took the belts off to see if it was on of the accesories but it still ticked after that. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine, i dont believe that its a lifter noise since it originates so deep in the engine. The noise does go away when the motor warms up, but on startup its terrible. Any thoughts?

2. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i was told, on my old truck, that it was something in the valve assembly/cover pressurizing or creating a vacuum and once it pressurized or something, it stopped. thats what i was tolld and i obviously didn't understand them but i dont beleive its any major problem.

3. egreg

egreg Rockstar

I have the exact same problem in my 2000 5.3. It's down right embarrassing on a cold morning. Once it gets warmed up ther noise is gone. Has anyone found a solution for this? It seems to get worse each year, however it doesn't seem to hurt my performance.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They do have tools to try and pinpoint sounds in an engine, take it to a very reliable mechanic or the dealership, if your truck sits outside overnight or is in an unheated garage they should do the same for the night then be able to listen to it in the morning when it starts.

5. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i agree..i hate noises like that.they drive me INSANE:grrrrrr: