Ticking noise in engine

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hkinsland, Nov 15, 2009.

1. hkinsland

hkinsland New Member

My wife's 2004 Tahoe has developed a ticking noise in the engine that only occurs between 1500 and 2000 rpms. I put it in neutral with the emergency brake on and ran it up to that range and it still occurs so I popped the hood, had her run up the rpms and it seems to be coming from the top of the engine on the drivers side. It is a metallic ticking noise almost like an old sewing machine. Any ideas as to what this is? The engine has 104k miles on it.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

Possibly lifters, try an oil additive right before the next oil change to clean things up.
    I usually use Marvel Mystery Oil to clean sticky lifters.

Injectors have been known to give off this sound too. Again an additive in the fuel may help there also.

Try using a mechanics stethescope to beter isolate the noise.
  3. Kenny

Kenny New Member

mine just started doing this, but only when i accelerate, trying to isolate cause..ideas?
  4. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Lifters. If you've got more than 100K miles, it's to be expected. Kenny, do you have a 350?
  5. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 New Member

Yup sounds like lifters
  6. Kenny

Kenny New Member

its a 3.5L...did a obd2 scan...lean condition on both banks as well as 02 sensor 2 low input, and tranny range sensor.

codes were P0171, P0174, P0332, P0705

doesnt do it when idle in park when i rev or when cruising, only when slightly giving gas between 1000 to 1500 rpm's.
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

If you're running lean, that's probably causing your ticking noises, then. Change that O2 sensor first, because that can give a bad reading and make the PCM cut down on fuel.
  8. b_burdine

b_burdine New Member

it's just piston slap... not too much to worry about unless it gets worse
  9. Kenny

Kenny New Member

solved it...it was actually the freakin pvc valve. guts were gone. installed a new one and good. guess the guts are now bouncing around in one of the cylinders....:no:
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

For your engines sake I hope not. This could lead to some problems.