Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ticking sound 4300vortec.

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Ryan 98 ZR-2, May 17, 2010.

1. Ryan 98 ZR-2

Ryan 98 ZR-2 New Member

I have a 98 ZR-2 with the 4300 vortev in it. For the last couple months I have been experiencing a loud ticking sound. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine. I have ruled out the tranny and the transfer case(Its too far forward) It only does it from 1100- 1600rpm. First I thought It was somthing stupid like a loose skid plate. But then I had a buddy keep the engine reved up while I investigated.When Im underneath It sounds like it is in the bell housing, and from the top it sounds like its coming from near the distributor.I ruled out the starter by removing it while the truck was running. then I thought it might be in the distributor so I took the cap and rotor off. The shaft that the rotor screws to is slightly loose but it seems like it is made to be.I dont think it could be rods or lifters or valves because the truck just runs too good and it only does it at that certain rpm. I really hope someone has delt with this before and can help me.

Please and thank you
    -Ryan (Dayton, OH)

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

It could be an exhaust leak from the manifold, that'll make a ticking noise in the general area you're describing without causing any noticeable change in performance.

3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Take the fan belt off, or have someone hold the fan from moving. Or tie it off some how. Start you truck and take a piece of tissue paper around the exhaust to check for leaks.
    Check the doughnuts too..

4. Ryan 98 ZR-2

Ryan 98 ZR-2 New Member

I will try the thing with the tissue paper. but wouldnt it do it all the time instead of just at a certain rpm? and it only does it when the engine warms up. it is worse when im in motion and not under a load than it is in park.
    Its just so hard to tell exactly where it is coming from with all that stuff crammed under the hood. I miss my 72 Cheyenne. you could stick sombody under the hood and drive around and listen for noises.lol.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. Ryan 98 ZR-2

Ryan 98 ZR-2 New Member

I figured it out! loose bolts that hold the bell housing onto the motor. thanks for the help fellas.