1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

time for new tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ministock8, Aug 15, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

my truck is due for new tires. at least the rears need it bad but the front still have a way to go. if i were to change the rears would it be crazy thinking to buy 1 tire put the spare on as another rear and take the best of the used rears and use it as a spare. doesn't make sense to me to leave a brand new tire under the truck going unused.
    does that make sense to anyone?
  2. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member 100 Posts

Picking your best worn down tire and using it as a spare is fine. All you need your spare for is to get you to a shop to plug the leak in your other tire..
  3. idowa

idowa New Member

Just be careful that the one new tire you purchase is the same diameter as the new spare.

For example, I bought 30x9.50x15 tires for my Jeep. They looked small for a 30" tire but I didn't look any further into it.

Yesterday, I brought home a `97 Suburban with very worn 245/65/16 tires which are supposed to be 30.5" tall. I figured I'd throw on the Jeep wheels and tires since there is only a half inch of difference, but it turned out that the Jeep 30" tires made by Pro-comp are actually only 29.3" tall.

Other tire manufactures 30" tires are actually 30" tall and some are 30.3" tall, etc.

If your spare tire is a Goodyear 265/70-17, which is supposed to be 31.7" tall and the new tire is a Cooper 265/70-17 which turns out to be only 31" tall, then you could cause some problems in your differential.

Just check the actual specs from the manufacturer to ensure both tires will be the same diameter.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think as long as you don't have a rear locker you should be fine with a slight differance in tire diameter.
  5. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

i dont plan on changing tire size. i'm going to buy the exact brand model and size as whats on the truck now.
  6. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 New Member 100 Posts

You better check you spare tire then because on my last 2 truck the spare wasn’t the same size as what was on my truck heck on the Avalanche the spare was a 16” and the tires were 17” on the truck.