Time to rebuild the custom center console.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Jimmeh, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So as most will know, the Work Truck packages of the 03-06 Silverado's come with a fixed back bench seat up front. For me, that just doesn't cut it. For one, I have a ton of paperwork I have to have in the truck at all times, and I'd rather it be in a secure "out of sight" area. The glove boxes are far too small in these trucks for what I carry, and I can't drive without an arm rest all the time (considering I have put 25,000 miles on my truck in one year, you could imagine how uncomfortable that could have been).

Well, I already have a "custom" center console, but I am ready to rebuild it. My next one will include:

Full length from back of front seats to dash
    iPod dock built in
    rear cup holders
    stock front cup holders covered and cut out
    LOTS of storage space in the arm rest area
    Room for floor shifter for the 4WD.

I plan on building it with MDF and I will be covering it with like colored fabric, but any other opinions are appreciated. I already have the fasteners and tools (who can say they're a tradesmen without having any tools, right?) all I need now is the materials.

I also want to cushion the lid of the console some how, I just got to find something that'll work.

I am HOPING the weather will be nice enough to start this weekend. I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but I haven't had the time or the good weather. Now I've got the time, lol. We've had so much rain around here lately that we've had a couple of floods so it makes the weekends really really boring.

I will update as soon as I start with pictures.

2. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

good luck, I'm interested on seeing how you do, I plan on doing close to the same thing when I find some newer style bucket seats within my price range. but my console will double as a box for two 12" JL subs and be made from fiberglass

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you can find a good upholstery Shop they will have a really nice and thick heavy duty foam that you can put on the armrest, and cover it with a heavy duty pleather or vynl (spelling).. I did upholstery for a few years, as a side job.. The vynl wont break down as easly and the padding will hide and gaps etc.. Also if you really want a little amount of padding and still plan to cover it with vynl you can use headliner material over the whole box for a nice soft touch appearance.. You can buy the adhisive there as well and it will last as long as you have your truck... If you have any more questions feel free to ask i should be able to help and anyone else might have more input as well.

4. Jimmeh

Well, I am finally working on this project. I've had the materials but until recently was working way too much. I was laid off about two months ago, and after doing a ton of projects on the property that needed done and cleaning a space out in the garage to work in, I'm finally able to play around with this.

I started at roughly one, and it is now almost four, and here's what I got so far (sorry for the non-typical blurry pics. I was working faster then I should have, so my picture taking abilities went into the pooper)

Here is the floor of the front part of my console:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, not a whole lot of room to work with.
    Here is the floor with the dash wall on it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here was my first mistake:
    [​IMG]

I traced the curvature of the floor into my floor board. As soon as I did it, I regretted it as now it will require some rounding. Not a huge deal, just a ton of sanding that will need to get done, and MDF sucks to sand, lol.

Next is the floor, dash wall, and front wall:
    [​IMG]

And here is where I made two mistakes. One, I completely forgot about the ash tray and the small cubby hole in the dash. Now, I'm not a smoker, but I do put all my change in the ash tray. I also don't use that cubby hole that much, but I would still like it open just in case.
    [​IMG]

My second mistake was not compensating for the half inch of MDF when cutting the middle wall and the side panel.I decided after this to make this my rough template for figuring out what exactly I plan on doing. Hopefully I can pull most of it apart without too much difficulty, but if not I can get a deal on the MDF anyway.
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of the whole thing.
    [​IMG]

So, the changes I will make are to make that middle wall angle back towards the dash a small amount, cut the tops of that middle wall and back wall down another half an inch, and cut the small notch on the dash side of the floor shifter off, as it's not needed anyway.

Well, there you go. I think I may fix a couple of things, and then I'm done for the day. Expect more tomorrow, perhaps.

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Looks good so far,can't wait to see the end result!

6. Jimmeh

Well, as I said I've got nothing else to do. I just finished up the front (for now). Here's a quick pic.

[​IMG]

Now I just gotta mount the CB, build the cover for the cup holder side of the box, build the center console box and tie them both together. Should have part of that done tomorrow, as I got the structure of the center console box done, just gotta do some adjustments. After all that comes my least favorite part: Upholstery. I might just have somebody do it for me, though.

7. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Should add a few power points for cell phone chargers, radar detector, GPS, etc.

8. djturnz

djturnz Member

So is the front part just open wasted space, or are you going to put something in there?

9. Jimmeh

My CB will most likely go there, as well as an iPod dock.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor