Time to replace Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by kroewe, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kroewe

kroewe New Member

I purchased used 2008 Suburban, 4wd and need to replace brake pads, I want to get good pads that will last but not spend a fortune, any recommendations, on ceramic vs OE ceramic or whatever other choices there are. I plan to purchase at O'Reillys or AutoZone unless you dont recommend that.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

:sign0016:To the Site......:glasses:

Here is some Information that can help you with which Brake pads, you may want to go with, its regarding the Difference Between Metallic Vs Ceramic Brake Pads

• Metallic Construction
      • Although manufacturers do their best to keep their brake pad recipes secret, a little dissection will quickly show that metallic and semi-metallic brake pads are composed primarily of steel, brass, and copper shavings that are held together by an ultra-strong resin.
      Ceramic Construction

• The alternative to metallic brake pads is the ceramic option. Ceramic brake pads are composed primarily of filler materials and a very strong resin; some brands include minute amounts of copper in the mix to lengthen the life of the pad.
      Metallic Pros

• The best thing about metallic or semi-metallic brake pads is that they are cheap and durable. Because they are composed mainly of metal combinations, they will not wear down quickly, and are slow to become too hot from friction.
      Metallic Cons

• Downsides to metallic brake pads include the loud squealing sound that drivers frequently complain about as brakes are applied. This results from brake pad vibrations as the metal of the pad grates against the metal of the brake rotor. The result of this violent meeting between equal materials is that the rotor can become grooved or worn over time, and will eventually need to be replaced when there isn't enough material left for repairs.
      Ceramic Pros

• Ceramic brake pads offer a much quieter and more reliable braking solution to drivers. This is because the materials in the ceramic mixture vibrate in a range outside that of normal human hearing, which gives the impression of a very quiet stop every time. In addition, ceramic brake pads do not become heated as quickly, and become cooler faster, which helps to eliminate brake fade over long downhill courses.
      Ceramic Cons

• The downside to ceramic pads is that they are much more expensive than their metallic counterparts. Some auto enthusiasts claim that this expense is offset by the lack of rotor damage caused by the pads, plus the time and hassle that is saved from having to occasionally replace rotors.

The 2 Brake Pads Most often mentioned are from......Hawk....EBC.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I went with the O'Reily ceramic best, one level up from stock and they have been a good pad so far, I think around 12000 miles on them. They replaced an almost new, at least judging by the amount of pad left, car quest pro pads. I couldn't get the old pads to engage the anti-lock but the new ones still do without alot of pedal pressure.

4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i would say Hawk also, try autoanything its where i got mine, real good prices too