1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Time to upgrade my cell phone, any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Apr 1, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As of today, I am eligible for an upgrade. However, in my case, I am looking to downgrade. I currently have an HTC EVO 4G LTE (on Sprint) and I hate this POS. It's been underwhelming since I got it a year and a half ago. I want to stay with a smartphone but I actually want a non-4G phone, if they still make them. Sprint charges and extra $10/month for "premium data" if your phone is 4G capable. Since you can't even get 4G in most places, whey the heck am I paying for it? Plus I just use wi-fi when it's available. So, I am looking for a nice 3G phone if there are any still out there. Got any recommendations?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

How attached are you to the Android OS? I have yet to find an Android phone I like except for their larger screens. Rumor is Apple will be fixing the small screen problem in the next iteration of their iPhone. I like my iPhone 5 because it's a very fast and controlled experience. While I prefer Windows for my desktops and laptops, I love the IOS on mobile devices. A phone is something that I don't want to have to fight with and trick it into doing what I want, which is the exact vibe I get on Android.

As for 4G/LTE data, don't count on finding any that aren't nowadays except maybe a 2 year old model that's being given away for free to get people off flip phones. However, I would think that there's some way to have them take the premium 4G data off if your billing address isn't within a 4G area they own. It should be on the same premise of how they won't sell you a new phone contract if your billing address isn't within their native service area (ie, not roaming).

3. McClintoc

I am cool with the Android OS. I am very much anti-Apple. I have no desire to own any of their products.

And yes, my preliminary research is showing that there aren't really any non-4G phones these days. Plus, I found out, directly from Sprint's website that the $10/month premium data fee applies to all smartphones - it's not 4G specific, so I guess I'm stuck with if if I want a smartphone.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I had Sprint and switched to AT&T.

I have the Note 3 and it is a great phone. AT&T's LTE is FAR superior to Sprint. My bill actually went down when I switched to AT&T.

5. McClintoc

I had AT&T and switched to Sprint. I can't really compare bills though because on AT&T I had dumb phone for calls only - I didn't even text back then. I went to Sprint for my first smartphone and their truely unlimited everything service. My bill went up but so did my services.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've been with AT&T for about a year now and we love the connection most of the time we get 4G. Had a few dead spots with 4G when in northern New Mexico, but that's it. The cost for two smartphones with 10GB shared data is about $160/month and it was supposed to be cheaper than that, but for now it's an acceptable price for us to pay.

I've got the Note 2 and the wife's got the S4, both Samsungs of course.

7. McClintoc

The Note 2 is at the top of my list. How do you like it? I know the Note 4 is about to come out but the Note 2 is better than my current phone and I can get it cheaper than a Note 4.

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In terms of service coverage, there's only 1 place I go where I don't have coverage, but it's out in the middle of nowhere where there's more cows than people and I have my work phone for those times. Verizon's network has gotten a lot better than it was 10 years ago. Sprint's network is still lackluster in my opinion, but, that's what my work phone is (not by choice)...

9. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I work for Apple, and I can say to stay away from iPhones.

10. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Well, I would recommend just sticking with Sprint. I've had all 4 major carriers...and by far the best reception was with Verizon - BUT you pay for it. AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint are all comparable. I just switched (back) to Sprint after being with T-Mobile, then AT&T for a few years each. I never stay loyal to something like a wireless company...they are out to get your money, so look who can give you the best bang for the buck. That is Sprint BY FAR now with the new Framily plan. I have 2 smartphones with UNLIMITED everything for $100. (It will be $90 when I add one more person to my Framily ID) No other company is near that price. And I can guarantee as I just came off AT&T with a LTE phone...the service is not measurably worse either way. I travel in some rural farm country of Georgia...and there are spots my Sprint is out...but there were spots where AT&T had no service too. Like I said, measurably speaking, Verizon is the only one that is better and you pay for it. This is all based on my location and travel habits though.

If you like Android, see how much you can get an LG G2 for... I've had just about every make and model (HTC, Samsung, Apple, Motorola and now LG). The G2 is by far the best I've had. It's utterly amazing. It is quicker than the the Galaxy S4...I think the Note 3 has the same processor. I've heard good things about the HTC One phone itself... But I wouldn't recommend HTC as their warranty and claims is a joke. They will fight you tooth and nail on fixing anything...and they don't stand behind their products (so I've been told by 2 people who had issues on their HTC phones less than 3 mos old).

Apple - total joke now that Steve Jobs passed away. Their IOS is glitchy and they are now copying the look and feel of Android. When Mr. Jobs was around, he carefully tested EVERYTHING and made sure it didn't get pushed to the public until it was perfect. Now, they send out IOS updates like every month... they have security issues that they are sending out patches. My iPhone 5 from AT&T would randomly reboot after executing a web search for something like "Home Depot"...BOOM, reboot. It all started when IOS 7 was introduced Nov. 2013. Stick with your anti-Apple thinking. Their quality has come way down...(which was actually the thing that set them apart for a good 4+ years).

I heard the EVO 4G (not LTE) that came out 2-3 years ago...was just amazing. A flagship phone. But to your own review, I have not heard a lot of positive things about the new LTE EVO. I think most stores quit carrying them. The Sprint store by me said they stopped like 8 months ago.

I would recommend:
    Samsung Note
    Samsung Galaxy 3 or 4 (both great phones) I think the 3 you would have to get a "refurb" deal.
    LG G2
    HTC One (if you keep your phone protected, the warranty issue may not be a deal breaker for you).