1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Timing a 97 Silverado 5.7

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by libby2159, Dec 23, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. libby2159

libby2159 New Member

Really, you have to have a 97 timed via a computer/scanner? What ever happened to the nice timing light that everyone could afford? I think the dealership/parts store, along with my husband are full of hooey that that ONLY way to time a 1997 1500 series Silverado 5.7 350 is with the scanner/computer hook up and then the truck's computer times itself once you are 0 (+/-). What year did this start and when does it end??!!!!!

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

it started in 1996 and in 1999 they went to a differnt design that doesnt use a distributor. But yes the 4.3L V-6 5.0L V-8 and the 5.7L V-8 have to be timed this way.

3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

It started with computers! The OBD I system that came in the 86 S-10, and others, still allowed you to use a timing light BUT you had to disconnect the computer first. You couldn't see the timing mark if you failed to pull the computer's plug...

Then the Feds decided that OBD I was too easy for hackers to over ride and the pushed the auto makers to make things more difficult and OBD II was born.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. libby2159

libby2159 New Member

It's just ridiculous! I realize things are supposed to improve through the years, but lemme tell ya, I had a 1990 1500 series Chevy and I could EASILY get 20mpg on the highway, about 15 in the city - give or take. The truck had around 250,000 when I sold it and bout my 97. What a mistake. I should have stuck it out with the little bit of rust the 90 had and one or 2 wiring gremlins vs what I am going through with my 97. We waited about 2 days to get the timing done after the intake and heads were done, etc, and that was the BEST mileage I got, there was a little bit of a spark knock but she started, she ran, just lacked her giddy up. Once it was timed, a tank of gas later, I got 10 MPG!!!!! So, it is going back in to be timed again but that is not right - I was getting at least 14 on the highway. But really, shouldn't it be doing better than what my 90 was? Just silly. I read somewhere that on the 97 you could time it without a scanner by disconnecting the ECM wire, but sounded too risky for me just to wing it!

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Nope that is why i said the 1996 up had to be timed with a scanner period.. But it sounds like the shop didnt actually get it to 0 degrees TDC. before they used the scanner.
    as to the milage, it all depends on the differences between the model ie: gear ratio etc etc.. but 14mpg is to low to begin with.