1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Timing - Advance or Retard to stop knock?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crazeetxn, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn New Member

I've noticed it as the temps heating up here in Tx. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I was wondering if I should mess with the timing to keep it from knocking when I accelerate? When I'm on the the hwy, if I accelerate, it'll knock. I can press the pedal more or back off of it and it quits. Usually around 60 - 65. No vacuum leaks, plugs are good, wires good...all that good stuff. It is carborated so maybe I should lean it up a little? Too many options and no clue where to start. Don't want to do anything if it's not going to make a difference.

Chevy 350, stock, Holley 600...

Thanks for the inputs!!!
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

In general you would want to richen it up, and or retard the timing.

Real life I would use 93 octane, if you don't already.

1)Use 93 octane-this should do it, if it hasn't already.
    2)Retard the timing a few degrees-3 or so- so it has less advance-for example firing at 15 degrees before instead of 18 degrees before TDC
    3)Go up one on the pilot jet-Holley's have pilot jets and main jets right?

4)Don't lug the motor-keep it in a lower gear than you really need-stay in 1st longer, 2nd longer etc.

Do you have a higher than stock compression motor?

Charlie
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Hes right, reduce timing to reduce knocking. Thats what knock sensors in newer vehicles do, when knocking is detected they reduce timing.