Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Timing chain replacement?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Crispyt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 1995 C1500 with a 4.3L. It has 230k miles on it and im wondering if I should look into replacing my timing chain and components. Also how hard would it be to do? I belive my fan shroud and water pump would need to be removed as well as my harmonic balencer.

Thanks for your help and input!

2. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

Timing chains/belts take forever to change. usually it required removing the rad and all that. mine went out in the texas snow storm we had this year. my dad was driving it at the time to get my mom from work and it died of a horrible death. keep in mine this was in like 2 1/2 feet of snow (chevy power FTW) it cost about 600$ to fix but that was with frisco automotive and you know how much shops pay to fix stuff -.- i wish you luck if you do it! keep in mind it will take HOURS or maybe a day if you work slow

3. Radiator is super easy to remove:

-Remove upper and lower shroud (15 minutes)
    -Remove the upper mounts, two bolts (one on each side). There are two bolts holding it on but your remove one bolt on each side to remove the upper plastic shroud
    -remove hose clamp to lower hose, drain coolant in doing so.
    -Remove hose clamp and hose from upper intake
    -unhook oil lines
    -unhook transmission lines
    -tape lines to prevent contamination

Radiator will lift right out. You probably have 40 minutes tops to remove it start to finish if working on a cold motor. Obviously let it cool down before you work on it.

The rest is up to you... ;)

4. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Why do you think you need to replace the timing chain? If it runs okay, then I wouldn't worry about it. I drove a 4.3 over 400,000 miles without a problem. If you DO need to replace the timing components, it's not hard on your truck. The fan shroud, water pump, and harmonic balancer all have to come off to get to the timing cover, but there's plenty of room. Just take your time and get all the sealing surfaces clean when you put it all back together.
    Good Luck and God Bless