Timing Chain??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cchas14, Apr 12, 2008.

1. cchas14

cchas14 Member

I now have my timing set and it idles better and runs well. I however still have a knocking issue on slight hills, highway speeds (60-65), and at times a slight push on the pedal and I get a really loud knocking for 30 seconds max followed by the Check Engine Light. I was wondering if the Timing Chain could be stretched, the motor has around 90,000 on it. At least that is what they told me when I bought it about 2 months ago. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

2. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

is this on a 4.3 by any chance? there is a very common problem with the crank sensor on them that at 2-3 rpm with a slight load, it makes a knocking noise with a little bit of a noise as if somethings loose inside, once you replace the crank sensor, recalibrate it at the dealer, as the snap on scanners usually dont work. on any other engine pull the dist cap and turn the crankshaft pulley with a socket and bar, if you have more than 8 degrees of play before the rotor turns, you need to open er up and check whats going on

3. cchas14

cchas14 Member

Sorry, no this is a 5.7. But I have been told of the knock sensor having issues, but I do not think that this is one of them...