1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Timing issue on a 1994 350 TBI

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Ethan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

I recently did a intake manifold gasket on my truck, and have been trying to get the timing right, but a few things are striking me as odd. First off, I have access to a GM Tech 2 with an OBD 1 connector, so I can see what the computer is trying to do to my timing as I drive. Secondly, the timing tab above my harmonic balancer is all scratched up, so I can't tell where 0 degrees is, so I'm guessing at this point. Originally I put it where it's below the 3 smaller bumps, but inbetween the large last bump. When it was set there, at idle my timing was advanced by 20 degrees constantly, and even if I accelerated, it would stay 20 degrees advanced. So I retarded the timing by 5 degrees, or 1 notch on the timing tab. Now its still idling at 20 degrees advanced, but when I accelerate it retards to 2 degrees advanced.

I do disconnect the brown with black strip wire under the dash when I time the engine, just in case ya'll wondering. I'm very confused since I know most vehicles will idle at 10 degrees advanced and under acceleration advance to 20 degrees. Since it's staying at 20 degrees advanced, a explanation would be nice, or a way to solve this problem, if it's a problem.
  2. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

have you watched what it does with the wire connected vs disconnected? have you verified with a light that it's advancing, not just relying on the information from the computer?

I believe base timing should be like 4-6 degrees advance. don't remember off the top of my head. Your best bet is to get an adjustable timing light so you can just work off of your 0 mark.