Timing issue?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BurbanMan, Jan 29, 2014.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I recently replaced the intake gaskets on my wife's 99 Tahoe (5.7/auto). After doing so I had a reputable shop set the timing since I don't have that fancy computer. Now 3 days or so later the "service engine soon" light comes on. The truck feels like it has not low end guys at times. This sounds like timing issue to me, but I would like a second, third, or 100th opinion lol Here are the codes that we pulled: p0420/p0430. I've read that these are generally O2 sensor or cat converter issues, but again I would appreciate confirmation from those of you more knowledgeable than myself. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. BurbanMan

Dang. Nobody has any ideas?

3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Intake leaking?

4. BurbanMan

no coolant in the oil or vice versa, and I haven't spotted any fluid seeping. I've been keeping a pretty close tab on it for about a week

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Before the intake replacement was there oil or coolant getting in the the cylinders? Either burning can quickly damage the Cat or the O2 sensors. My Tahoe has that code because of a bad cat which I'm replacing in June.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just for the heck of it I would take a can of carb cleaner and spray around the intake while it was running listening for rpm increases.

7. BurbanMan

Yes, there was coolant in the oil

I'll give it a try