timing off

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dkseals8, May 9, 2009.

1. dkseals8

dkseals8 New Member

I think the timing is off on my z71 truck. Any help would be great!

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

We need more info, what are the symptoms leading you to believe the timing?

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year/engine?

4. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yeah i agree, it usually depends on the truck but most of the timing stuff is adjusted in the computer it's self. if it's old enough you can still use the timing light and adjust it with the timing mark.

5. dkseals8

dkseals8 New Member

92 silverado 350 small block, new wires new plugs, starts and idles fine but misses out on the highway and very bad gas milage

6. dkseals8

dkseals8 New Member

92, 350 small block new wires and plugs misses out on the highway and bad gas milage

7. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yeah that old of a truck you would still use the mark and a timing gun, that's what i have to do with my 89 also. Just a side thought things i did with my 89 to increase power and mileage, added K&N air filter and noticed power and mileage difference, also added a flow master muffler and noticed power and mileage difference but that was also after plugs, wires, a new cap and button too.

I get 16 / 18 out of mine still and it has 272,000 miles on it now. the only major components that were changed was the transmission, oil pump, water pump, power steering pump, and alternator, typical maintinance type stuff in a truck that old though, but so far (knock on wood) no major engine issues at all.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What brand plugs and wires? How about the cap and rotor?