Tint Question- Tint Brands

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Vincennes02261897, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I did a search for a couple of particular tint brands and couldn't really get a whole lot of information.

Ultimately, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with Solar Guard window tint. Has it held up pretty well?

I know there are a few other brands too (3m, Lumar, Etc.). Any experiences any of you may have had with any particular brand would be great. Please feel free to mention what it cost you, too. I understand that labor costs vary widely across the nation but any sort of an idea would be great. :great:

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Check out a tint called FormulaOne. I have it on my Silverado and my wifes Trailblazer. Its great stuff. The have a process that instead of using dye for the darkining they use small metal chips that are tinted (don't know how they tint the metal). It doesn't fad and it reflects alot more heat as compared to the dyed tint. Has a life time warrenty. I've had 3M, SolarGuard and Lumar and I think the FormulaOne is the best. We've had the F1 on the trucks since '05. I'm going to replace the 3M tint on my '96 Suburban with the F1.

3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have 3M andl love it. I got 18% on the 2 front doors and 20% over the factory tinted back glass and cost me $120.00

4. AzDragonLord

AzDragonLord Rockstar

I'm using Madico's ONYX window tint and I love it. It blocks a lot of incoming heat and light, but still allows good visability from the inside. It's been just over a year and I highly recommend it! Total material/labor cost on my GMC install was under $200.

Basic write-up is:
    Madico’s Onyx tint is a fully-metalized, high performance window tint that contains no dyes. The metalized construction allows for high levels of solar energy rejection, as the rays tend to bounce off the metal surface instead of being absorbed in the film itself. The Onyx window tint is also very durable, which provides some benefits when it comes to anti-shatter characteristics. UV and infrared transmission levels are reduced to near-zero levels, thus preserving your well-being as well. The Onyx window tint is available in several different darkness levels.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That Madico's ONYX tint sounds just like the FormulaOne tint. Wonder if its the same manufacture?

6. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The Madico's ONYX and FormulaOne tints sound like pretty good options, actually. I'll have to look into those whenever I get it done. The prices don't sound too bad either. So all-in-all, it sounds like the main differences from one tint to the next are the materials and process used to make it (which would make sense).

The only options I've really heard of around here are SolarGuard, 3M, and Lumar, though unfortunately. I might have to go with one of those. Since Ajarman seems to be quite happy with the 3M tint, I may just go with that. Hopefully some of these tint shops have some of the other options that have been talked about,though.

Either way, thanks mucho for all of the help already. If anyone else has any other insight I would still be very glad to hear it.

7. denn454

denn454 New Member

Typing this on my phone, so sorry for any typos.

A few years ago I had a car with 3M tint. For the most part it was great except there were little 3M logos in the tint. Not noticeable from a distance, but it was very noticeable and quite annoying when looking out the drivers side window. Maybe they have changes that. If so they would be fine. If not I wouldn't even consider them.

I had Lamar tint on my last car. 3 years and not a single issue. I did manage to scratch the tint, but it was from being dumb and I don't think it had anything to do with the quality of the tint. No changes in color at all. I'd use their tint again.

Above all use a good installer with a guarantee of at least 3 months. Find someone with a lot of good reviews. Even people that do this for a living can and do make mistakes and they become little nagging eye sores.

8. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I would go with the FormulaOne or ONYX

9. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Headlight armor comes in blue, yellow and several shades of smoke. Have it on my headlights and fog lights. 3 years and still looks good. Easy to apply to!