1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tiny white specs on black paint ~ What is it?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by jexo, Sep 8, 2012.

1. jexo

jexo New Member

I woke up one morning last year and found all these tiny white specs all over my truck. At first I thought it was just ash and they would easily wash off, but nope. Have to scratch them off with a finger nail and they have a hard time coming off then. One thing that I notice that worked was a polishing compound. Worked great on the sides but seemed ineffective on the hood. Any thoughts?
  2. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

a clay bar product works good...............Meguiar's sell a spry that you spray / spritz on, then let it soak
    a few seconds, then use the clay bar and crap/stuff comes right off onto the clay bar.

Brian
  3. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

I always use MeGuiars Cleaner Wax for stuff like that. Usually works like a charm...
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Can you take a photo? Since you're in Oregon, I'm going to assume that it's some type of tree or flower related pollen that is a bit sticky on the clear coat.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have to agree with everyone above. I would try a claybar and then a coat of cleaner wax.
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

kinda late but, do you take your truck through automatic car washes? that may be why...
    i started notcing back in high school that after everytime i was lazy and drove through one, i would always have white specs in random spots on my truck, they literally had to be scratched off. needless to say thats why i dont go to those anymore...
  7. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

I would say clay bar as well, my brother has a black infinity G35 that he cares for more than life itself and he uses a clay bar it works awesome. If it wasn't on your hood and only low on the body I would suggest that you drove over wet road paint but I guess that is ruled out!
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

The OP probably ran over some fresh white paint after the street people touched up the stripes.

I have found that the only way to get paint spots like that off is some wax and elbow grease.

Don't use polishing compounds as they contain an abrasive that can scratch the clear coat.