1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tips for seating the Transmission Dipstick

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Crawdaddy, May 27, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ok, I know this sounds super-simple, but I'm looking for some tips to help me get my dipstick tube in the transmission correctly. It hasn't been correct since I replaced the transmission. After taking it over to the transmission shop for a nonrelated issue, I found out that there was already a dipstick tube gasket/seal on the case when I tried to shove my dipstick into the transmission, with the old one still on the dipstick mind you. Today I should be picking up a new dipstick gasket and I'm going to take another crack at it, hopefully correctly. Two tricks I have found so far is to lube up both the dipstick tube and the gasket with some ATF and to not put the new gasket all the way into the transmission case before trying to insert the dipstick. That way it prevents binding on the gasket I guess.... Are there any other tips or tricks to getting it down there right the first time. Also, how do I know when it's all the way down? I'm going to try to slip the little "flag" on the tube over the bellhousing bolt to ensure it's in the right spot, but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to be able to do that since Chevy had the infinite wisdom to put the fuel lines directly over that bolt. Thanks as always everyone...
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

So, no ideas or comments? Hopefully I'll be getting this done tonight and I want to make sure I got it right...
  3. crashone

crashone New Member

MAN! I was hoping I found my answer here! I swapped out the engine on my '89 and for the life of me cannot get the tranny tube down the last half inch so the "flag" will line up with the bellhousing bolt! Oh well it's off to change the fluid and filter and give it another blind go.
  4. Crawdaddy

If you only have one dipstick seal at the transmission, it SHOULD go in correctly. This was 6 years ago and to this day it's still doing fine. I don't remember if I ended up bolting it to the bellhousing bolt properly, but I guess I did since the dipstick is nice and stable.
  5. crashone

crashone New Member

Yep I saw this was 6 years old, thus the head smack ! Any way got it installed what a PITA it was. Just a matter of getting the new grommet and tube seated right.