Tire Chains for RWD Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Zzyzx, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Zzyzx

Zzyzx Member

Good Morning Everyone,

I feel a bit embarrassed asking this, but as a Phoenix native, I don't have much experience with tire chains. I have P265/70R-17 tires on all four wheels. (Specifically, Pathfinder brand all-terrain tires, a Discount Tire brand supposedly made by Goodyear.) At any rate, there's a myriad of chains out there, so I'm looking to some of my northern GM brethren for advice.

First, I don't know if cam or non-cam is preferred. This is going to be light usage -- I'm taking the wife to a cabin in Flagstaff as a Christmas present, and I'll actually only be purchasing them if snow is forecast by the time we go. At any rate, I also notice that for trucks they come in pairs, rather than sets of four. Second, do I only need to put chains on the rear wheels, or is it wiser to do all four? Third, any brand recommendations? I'd prefer not to spend a fortune, especially since I don't know how much they'll get used. Finally, the truck is used a lot more for off-roading than snow driving, and I see chains for snow and mud. Are these any good or a crappy sacrifice?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I appreciate the help.

Have a good holiday, everyone!

2. TMair

TMair Member

Now this is jut me talking, but I would (I did) go to Walmart and pick up a set of their truck chains, if you look on the box it will have a list of tire sizes that they will fit, then go home in the drive way when it is nice and put them on, that way you will know how to put them on if/when you need them.
    Chains can be a life saver when you need them, and if you have never used them, or been with some one who has used them it is a real eye opener how much difference they make.
    Since the chains will fit several different sizes of tire once you put them on chances are they will have some links left over, like tails, if you are going to only use them on those tires you can cut the chains so they fit exactly, if you think you will keep the chains and use them on another truck you can leave the chains full length but make sure you have wire or nylon ties to tie the ends so they can flip around, they will tare out your break lines if they are left to flip.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry