1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire chains on 4x4 Suburban

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mhgoldwing, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mhgoldwing

mhgoldwing New Member

I just purchased an 07 1500 4x4 burb. Owner's manual states to not use chains on front tires!

Why not? Maybe they meant specifically "chains" and not the newer cable chains, etc. I've already found ads for chains to fit the Burb with my tire size, p265x70rx17. Dunno. But, it doesn't make any sense to me to have 4x4 in snow and ice without putting traction device on front tires.

Anyone got a clue?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

My '98 says the same thing. I'm not sure why; the manual only says that it will "damage" my vehicle. Gut feel is the general is worried about clearance issues, and they will usually be very conservative in that regard. They wouldn't want your tire chains to snag on the sway bar or a fender while turning or something like that.

I haven't got chains for mine, yet; haven't felt the need. Every once in a while I wonder if I should get chains for it, but I haven't ever had any trouble in the snow and ice here.
  3. Dj Friction

Dj Friction New Member

I believe that Mr Shorty is correct. The clearance of the fender well during turning radius may be to small for the chains to clear. Also I have heard that it has something to do with the manner in which the chains are mounted, that do not allow for the sideways drag, as that which would occur in a turning situation.

If that makes sense????

My 2 cents worth
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

Put 'em on early!

It is a clearance issue. Chains, especially if they are incorrectly installed can "fly" out and do serious damage to the body work and driveline. I've driven in the snow in plenty of 2wd vehicles and chains on the rear only work just fine. However, whenever I take my 4wd in the snow or mud I do carry a set of chains for the fronts. I don't always use them but I have with no problems. I did have them cut down for an exact fit, front and rear. Remember to put the chains on EARLY! I was out once offroading on a trail and the snow cover had turned icy. I waited too long and when I got on an incline and traction disappeared, I almost slid backwards of a nasty dropoff.
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts

Chains were outlawed here when I was just a baby. I have'nt even seen chains on a car before...