1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tire differences

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jow003, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jow003

jow003 Member

I am starting to look at new tires for my truck and under all the different sizes there are different letter prefixes, What do they mean?
    ex:
    LT285/65R-18 E What does the LT stand for?
    P265/65R-18 E What does the P stand for?

2. jow003

jow003 Member

for that matter, whats the difference if neither "LT" or "P" are present?
    ex.
    285/60R-18

3. troysakis

troysakis New Member

LT stands for light truck D or E rating- most 2500-3500
    P stands for passenger- Most half tons and under

4. thump186

thump186 New Member

As said LT is light truck, P is passenger

285 is the width of the tread in MM
    65 is the percent of tread width equals side wall height
    R is for radial tire
    18 is rim size
    E is the load rating for the tire.

Alot of trucks and suvs' are coming equipped with passenger tires now because more people are buying them for daily drivers and dont carry much weight and only want a comfy ride. LT tires are made with more plies to them which allow them to carry heavier loads thus making for a stiffer ride.

5. jow003

jow003 Member

so does that mean the LT tires would potentially last longer?

6. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Not necessarily. Tread wear is another number on the side of the tires. Its a 3 digit number on the side of the tire usually followed by a couple letters, like 220 A A or 400 B C. Higher numbers last longer. Its not a uniform standard though between brands though, one company's 400 might be the same as another company's 500.

7. thump186

thump186 New Member

I agree with Greg tread wear is different between brands. Wear depend on factors such as alignment, rotation schedule, tire pressure, driving habits, tread compound ect. LT tires are built more for their load carrying thats what they are designed for. One trick I learned from a Company rep when i was doing tires is say a tire has a tread wear rating of 400, add two 00 at the end and that is the manufactures estimate of how many miles the tire should last. More aggressive tread patterns also tend to be on the lower end of the tread life scale. Another thing to look at is the traction rating on the tire AA being the top of the ladder also you may see a MS on the tire meaning it is mud and snow rated.

8. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Remember the old G.Y. Eagle GT? You could go around the block and need new tires..Watch out a tire salesman will sell you old out of date stock.They will always push the tire with the most profit in it.