1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire Load rating

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ahm1127, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ahm1127

ahm1127 Member

I have 05 Suburban & looking for new tires. I was looking at 265/75-16 or 235/85-16 & not sure about the E rating(10ply) of the 235 tire. Would the ride be to rough compared to 265 tire?
    I like the 235 better since it thinner and same height.
    thanks
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

its gonn be too thin i think for your truck. It would most likely be less stable too. you are gonna have alot more sidewall and not enough footprint on the ground, 265/75/16 with E rate
  3. ahm1127

ahm1127 Member

Thanks, The 235 is about an inch thinner than 265. I am more worried about the ride on a 10 ply versus an 6 to 8 ply. Most of the HD trucks come with the E rated/10 ply tires. The suburban is no light weight, I will be toeing ATV's in enclosed trailer a few times a year.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

I would go with the 265's cuz they will look a lot better and still will be fine towing with your suburban. an E rated tire are for the more HD/diesel/commercial trucks and will ride a little rougher
  5. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 New Member

they are both a 10ply rating most of the time and will ride very similar the 265's load index is usually only a little bit more...is it a half-ton or three quarter-ton suburban?
  6. ahm1127

ahm1127 Member

Thanks. The Burb is a 1500. The 235 only available E rated, the 265 you have options in load rating.
  7. vncj96

I have the E rating on my 1500 and really didnt notice a difference from the tires I took off, I have been very happy with my choice
  8. NoelZ71

NoelZ71 New Member

either way which ever YOU think looks better. Being a half-ton you dont need more than a 4-ply for the truck so if you want the extra weight carring capability the ride is going to be similar on either one. I'd go with the 265, wider tread, more stable on highway especially pulling a trailer.
  9. Kady

Kady New Member

If you have a 2500, look into the wheel /tire combo i have.. Its a lil bit of a stiff ride, but nothing you can't get used to
  10. vncj96

Its NOT just that it can support more weight the 10ply is extemely durable toward punctures, I would never go below 10ply on any truck, EVER.