1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire Pressure Monitor System Question?!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by s5belford, Oct 11, 2009.

1. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I recently put on different factory rims and don't know how to reset the tpm system so that it will read the new pressure, does anyone know how to reset it or what to do?
  2. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member 100 Posts

I am not sure about the '09 models, but my '07 has a procedure to re-calibrate the TPMS sensors through the DIC. Do you have the DIC buttons on the console? I think this is also outlined in the owner's manual.

UPDATE: I went to my AllDatadiy.com account and found this procedure. Again, it is for my '07. Make sure to check that it is the same for the '09 models. (NOTE: for some reason the sequence numbers on the left column changed to all "1". Just follow the procedure in order shown)

1. Place the ignition switch in the proper position as follows:
    Initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:
      • Using a scan tool, initiate the TPM Learn Mode. A double horn chirp will sound indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
      • On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
      • Press and release the driver information center (DIC) INFO button until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message appears on the DIC display. Press and hold the SET/RESET button until a double horn chirp sounds and the DIC displays a TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message indicating the Learn Mode has been enabled. The left front turn signal will also be illuminated.
    1. Starting with the left front tire, learn the tire pressure using one of the following methods:
      • Hold the antenna of the J-46079 aimed upward against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location. Press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.
    Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels. When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.

• Increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate. (Note: I decreased pressure)
    1. After the horn chirp has sounded and the right front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 3 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:
    1. Right front
    2. Right rear
    3. Left rear
    1. After the LR sensor has been learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition to exit the learn mode.
    3. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures. Refer to Vehicle Certification, Tire Placard, Anti-Theft, and Service Parts ID Label.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  3. reaganalvin

reaganalvin New Member

Check your vehicle manual. It will solve your problem. If you didn't get then go to mechanic..

personal injury
  4. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member 100 Posts

they forgot to reset mine when i got a tire rotation so they were reading off... but i went to the tire shop where i know some people and they have a little machine that they walk around to each tire, hold a button, and it beeps on each tire and that lets them know that its reset.... cant tell u how otherwise....
  5. deepstuff

deepstuff New Member

I Wish I never hit the re-laern button, I could've lived with the wheel positions mixed up. I've tried the inflate - deflate procedure several times and cannot get even one wheel to registra. They were all working before I hit the "Re-learn positions" button. Is there a trick that I'm missing.

Dan
    '07 LTZ
  6. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member 100 Posts

Just had the same problem 2 days ago. Take it to the dealer they will reset the computer they have been having problems with this. I also think the original guy that posted the question about his new rims should do the same thing. Go to the dealer play dumb say it wont reset.
  7. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When i had my aftermarket rims and tires put on they had the wrong PSI and the damn things wouldnt reset. We ended up using the PSI listed on the sticker on the drivers door...the TPS reset and the tires are within thier PSI range.
  8. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Member 100 Posts

Thread thievery:

First off, hello all. Just got my first Chevy made after the invention of the microchip a year ago. She's been good to me. First time I've had an issue

Second, I'm having the same problem as Farmerdave and deepstuff. I do all my own work (mostly because I'm cheap and because I don't trust others to work on my cars) and I was really hoping to figgure out how to re-learn the tires. I tried the directions posted by MAsZ71 five or six times, then tried the owner's manual. It says the same thing word for word, except says five seconds instead of 8 to 10. I also tried draining the tire from full to flat and filling from flat to full (all while tire learning is active).

I work long hours (usually 6 to 6 plus an hour commute each way) so I don't have much time to just get someone else to reset it. Is there some trick to getting it to read and relearn?

thanks in advance for the help!
  9. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So, I rotated my tires and called the dealer to ask if I need to do anything for the TPMS to read the correct tires. They said no, but I'm always suspicious, especially when speaking with a salesman. I haven't been able to check to see that the tires match the readout, but I'm going to check it out now.
  10. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Member 100 Posts

From what I gathered reading the owner's manual, each tire's monitor has a specific radio signal frequency, and that's how the computer can differentiate between the 4. So even if you move the front left down to your rear right, it should (if I understand this right) still think it's the front left tire. Which is why you're suposed to re-learn the tires after rotation (by the manual)

I'd be curious to see if Checker / NAPA has this little radio thingy they'd let me use in the parking lot...