Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tire Pressure Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by willbradfan, Jul 5, 2009.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

So i have a set of BFG ATs on my suburban, it should be listed in my thing below and ive been using 40psi on them for the 2yrs i have owned them i am noticing that the outsides of all the tires are being warn while the inner parts of the tires are looking new still. The maximum recommended pressure on the tire is 65psi, i just went down and put about 50psi in each tire. What should the tire pressure be? Is 50psi okay or should i go ahead and bump it up more?

2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

it should be set at what ever the manufacturer recommends witch i believe is 35psi, edge wear can be caused by alignment issues or lack of rotation or under inflation

3. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

35-40psi is pretty standard like z71_guy said, and i agree with him that it sounds like an alignment problem! You can inflate more air but it will effect the ride quality.

4. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah the door jam sticker is what you should be running even tho the tire is rated to handle more its never a good idea to over inflate or read what the side wall says thats the max pressure before it blows open and seriously hurts or kills/maims some one and just outer/inner edge wear is exaclty what Z71 guy sayed

5. willbradfan

I wonder if I have another steering problem elsewhere, as when I am driving on the highway it is sometimes impossible for the steering wheel to be straight, in order for me to go straight the steering wheel is usually held at an angle. The alignment on the suburban is brand new. I replaced the steering gearbox last year as I thought that was my steering problem as it fixed some of it but the steering wheel has to be angled to go straight most of the time. The door recommends 45psi and I have 49psi in them and the max rated psi is 65psi, i dont care if it rides rough. I really want the tread to level out as my inner treads still look brand new. any ideas what could be causing this wear if it is not the tire pressure?

6. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If your steering wheel is not straight there is a problem. I can be as simple as, it wasn't positioned correctly when they did the alignment, or can be a sign of a alignment issue, or damage. Was the wheel always off, or is it a recent thing?

7. willbradfan

It has always been off from what i can remember. If it is windy it easily moves the wheels, and you can't feel the steering wheel moving when the wheels move from the wind blowing them. The dealership did the alignment by the way.

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

remember road crown it can make the wheel off center, but i would take it back and have them check it just to be sure

9. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

if its not an OEM tire go with the tire pressure on the tire. If the outer tread is wearing faster its under inflated... if its the inner tread its over inflated...

10. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the same tires, I mean same size and all, and have had them about the same time and run them at 63psi and have had no irregular wear at all.