Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Restlessone, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Restlessone

Restlessone Member

I have a question about tire pressures. I have a 2007 silverado with P275/55 R20 tires. In the door frame it says to run at 30psi.
    When I picked the truck up (new to me) last week the dealer had filled to 38 psi. I tried lowering to 30 psi but the tires looked low when I did. The tire pressure gauge agrees with the DIC so I'm sure it's accurate.
    Question should I run at 30 psi in spite of the way it looks.:neutral:

2. Tydeone

Tydeone Member

This seems to be very common. My '04 Silverado has 265/75R16 tires with a sidewall rating of 44psi. The door post label says 36psi. When I received my truck they had split the difference and put 40psi in the tires.

Rumor has it that the Firestone fiasco a few years back was actually caused by Ford listing an inflation recommendation that was too low for the tires causing sidewall fatigue and the blow-outs. Somehow Firestone still took the fall.

I would be interested to hear an "expert" from one of the manufacturers explain this discrepency.

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would probably put it back to what ever the dealer had it at. the lowest I would go would be 35 though.

4. Silverbullit

Silverbullit New Member

I would put what ever the tire says to put in it .........The truck does not know what size tire is on it. Thats what I do It just makes since.