1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tire pressure

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by spazzoid13, Dec 14, 2009.

1. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

OK.
    I have run into some confusion lately as im getting varied responses.

i recently put on some cooper ST's on my truck and the shop filled them to 50 psi each tire.

Now i dont care about ride quality,

I have read/heard that they should be what the truck recommends(sticker on door), what they filled them up to, and also that a buddy runs his at 5 psi under max(which in my case, my max is 80psi)

I come here to ask of you what do you run your tires at?

Im looking just to achieve even treadwear. Like i said, ride quality isnt my concern.

Thanks.
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I run @ max...maybe just a hair bellow !!!! If it says 80,,i would run 75 !!!!!

The tire ware is what matters to me , and what ever the tire says is where it has its best performance...

At least that is what i have been told .
  3. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

thats the second time I have heard of that. run at just under max psi..but to me..that seems high..but, since i dont know..im asking. like i said, i only want max milage out of my tires.

anyone else?, looking for a broad spectrum answer of those that can
  4. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I run my truck (stock wheels) at 30-32. My Mom's are at 80 and the horse trailer run around 100.. Just depends on the tires I suppose
  5. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I also rotate my tires every 5,000 miles, so if you're looking for getting the best life out of your tires, that would be my recommendation.
  6. brianj

brianj Rockstar

as long as they are the stock size, run the pressure on the door sticker. It is not just for ride quality, it is also about safety. Remember all of the explorers rolling over a few years ago? that was largely due to incorrect tire pressure, not the bridgestone tires they tried to pin it on.
  7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

It depends on what the tire says... Different tire companies suggest sifferent psi's... Check what's stamped on the tire...
  8. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

tire pressure depends are more then just what the tires says it also depends on the curb and gross weight of the vechicle
  9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

My 19.5's are rated for 95 #, they came from a frito delievry truck.
    On my Burban i run them @ 80 # since its not that heavy. and they are 12 ply tires.

But my stock size i ran right @ or little under the MAX PSI cold from the tire manufacture !!!!:great:
  10. spazzoid13

spazzoid13 Rockstar

I keep hearing back and forth..go by door #, or go just under what tire says for max psi.
    my tires at max @80. they do not say what the recommended tire pressure is--and the website is no help