1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

tire pressure

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 9191gmc, Jul 23, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 9191gmc

9191gmc Rockstar

I have some Terra Trac Hercules tires on my 01 silvy 6 cyl. longbed 4x4. reg. cab. Max 36 psi. This is a wood hauler only...do you think 30 psi is a good general pressure..??

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would go buy what the tire pressure sticker inside the drivers door jam recommends. Years ago the BFG rep. was in our shop and we discussed tire pressures for stock or oversize off-road type tires and he said go by the door stickers. I've had oversize tires on all my trucks and go by the door stickers and I've never had a tire problem and have good tire wear.

3. 9191gmc

9191gmc Rockstar

tires are not stock.... anyone else..???

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

As said above Look in the door . I always keep 38-42 in my tires..

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Since you're going to be hauling wood in this truck (maybe a couple to three thousand pounds) I'd up your tire pressures to whatever the max is that is written on the sides of your tires. The tire pressures on the door sticker is kind of a compromise between ride quality, wear, & MPG.

6. 9191gmc

9191gmc Rockstar

max is 36 and I put 30 in there because I ruined a set of small car tires by running them max. 30 is workable ,no??

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

30 psi might be alright. What you need to do is put the heaviest load of wood on it that you're ever going to haul, (green unseasoned hardwood) & then see if the sidewalls are bulging out. If they are you'll probably want to up the pressure, otherwise it's not going to handle well. When loaded the azz end is going to squirm all over the place anytime you're over 30 mph & the tread will wear off the outer & inner edges first instead of wearing evenly across the whole tread width. Are you putting side boards on this to haul the maximum loads, or are you only going to haul loads up to the top of the bed rails?