1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cruzzonn, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cruzzonn

cruzzonn New Member

Just bought 2000 GMC it has LT305 70R16 on it, FIREstone Destination MT. What would the running tire pressure be ?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It should be listed on a door sticker?
  3. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

You could also check the owner's manual. There's also a sticker with information on it in the glove box (usually). I can't remember what all info it has on it though... And also remember that depending on your intended use, the pressure will vary. For offroading less pressure is used so that more of the tire is making contact with the road surface. Highway driving and heavier weight require a higher tire pressure. As you can probably tell, vehicle setup depends on intended use. Also remember that underinflated tires consume fuel and have a negative impact on tire wear. Overinflation also causes uneven wear. I don't know if you are aware of all of that, but hope it helps... I usually run about 35 psi in my tires on my full-size truck with normal driving. However, like I said, you may wish to get a manufacturer's specification to be sure.
  4. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Also check the sidewall on the tire... I run 50 in my bfg all terrain's with my tahoe.
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

OP, is your 2000 GMC a 1500 or 2500/3500? That will be huge factor. As for 305's, those are large tires and will do better with more air than what is recommended. If your GMC is a 1500, I would run 45 lbs in them. If it is a heavy duty, then run what the truck recommends unless it excedes the tire's max presssure. Most truck tires have a max of 75 or 80 lbs but once a tire gets above 300 in size, some will have lower max pressures. Just be sure to check the sidewall for max pressure and compare it to your truck's recommended pressure. Again, for a 1500 and tires that big, run somwhere between your truck's recommended and the max pressure. If it's a heavy duty, run what the truck recommends so long as it doesn't excede the tire's max.

PS: I work part-time a tire shop. :glasses:
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The tire pressure info is always on the driver's door pillar, very seldom in the owner's manual, because of the different ratings for vehicles.

The pressure on the side wall of a tire is usually the max pressure that can be run in a tire, not a good idea to always run at max pressure.

I usually run a few pounds over the recommended, just keep an eye on the center of the tire, too much pressure will wear the center.
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Same here. The recommended pressure for my truck is 35 psi but since I have some all-terrains on there that are slightly larger than stock, I run 40 psi. My tires are wearing perfectly.