1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire Purchase coming up. BFG or Michelin?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Family Man, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Family Man

Family Man New Member

Hi all.

Need new tires for my wife's 2001 Suburban K2500 with 8.1 L engine. We tow a 26-foot travel trailer a little, and drive around town a lot. Montana road conditions (snow, ice, cold). Don't take it off road much. Last set of new tires were Cooper Discoverer, but they wore out much too quickly. Have been checking out this forum and looking into many of the tires recommended in previous threads. Two of the tire choices are available locally at a good price, and I have to make a choice.

I can get the BF Goodrich T/A KO for $217 a tire or the Michelin AT2 for $191 a tire (on sale). In both cases price included mounting plus lifetime balancing, rotating, road hazard, etc.

So is there an obvious choice here between the BFG and the Michelin, or should I be equally satisfied with both?

Thanks
    Family Man
  2. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

Depends on what you want to do. From what it looks like, you do road driving the majority of the time, pavement/dirt/gravel. In that case I stand by these:

• Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season
      • Serv. Desc: 112S
      • UTQG: 740 A B

• Michelin LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season
      • Serv. Desc: 111T
      • UTQG: 720 A A

I actually like the Continentals the best and the price is better than the Michelin's. But when I needed tires the last time around, the Continentals were on a semi permanent back order. So I was stuck with the Michelin's.

But I am hearing allot of rumors that if you keep up with the rotate and balance on the Michelin's people are getting 85,000 miles out of them.

We will see in a few years if that is true.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I have run the Michelin LTX M/S2 Highway All-Season tires on my 02 silverado 2wd. I loved them. They did well in snow, here in Michigan especially for a 2wd truck. I got 75,000 miles out of the last set. I now have them on my 05 yukon xl, they ride nice and wear like steel. I do tow a 3700lb boat with the truck and the tires are fine for that also. My vote is for the Michelin
  4. I have the Michelin AT2 on my 2500 HD and pull a 31 foot Travel trailer. I have had good luck with them. These are the original equipment that came with the truck. My last truck (a 1500) had Bridgestone Duehler HT and liked those on that truck. I would get the michelins again.
  5. gear_head

gear_head New Member

I just put the BFG's on my truck last Fall. I will tell you the one down side to them is they really pick up the rocks and tear up the rocker paint. I do not like mud flaps, so I will prolly have to linex the rockers here before too long.