1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tire question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by wolfrivercc, Mar 2, 2009.

1. wolfrivercc

wolfrivercc Member

ok i know this has been posted and asked 10000 times but im busy and dont have time to search right now. with my 08 silverado reg cab 4x4 running 265/70R17 tires... i just got my ccm 2" leveling kit and am wanting to know what is the biggest tires i can run. i just bought a set of the aluminum 17" wheels off of an 07 avalanche and am going to go ahead and upgrade the tires at the same time. all help will be appreciated as usual. thanks guys and gals.
  2. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby Rockstar

285/70/17 I believe. Check out Jerrynino truck on here(type his name in the search bar at the top off the screen). He has a kickass silverado with that size wheels and tires. He said he has a lil bit of rubbing but it sure does look good.
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 go with a 285/70R17
  4. wolfrivercc

wolfrivercc Member

ok... thats what i thought... thanks guys
  5. press

press New Member

when you go only 2cm wider and the tyre starts rubbing. try locating where. if it rubs on the inside, try using a shime between the rim and brakedisk. if it rubs on the tread of the tyre you best get a 285/65/17(if they exist in the u.s.)
    and last but alot more work. if they rub your fender you can roll out your fender(watch out for chipped paint!!!!!) or you can take the rim and get it to someone that can machine a small ammount from the flenge to get the rim deeper over your brakes
    WARNING!!!!!! when doing this be shure there is enough room betwween the rim and brake caliper so they wont rub against eachother
    (it wouldn't be the first one that machine e few mm from the back and screwing up because they machined of to mutch. Also when you do this , it can be that you only have to do the front or back rims. In this case make some mark on the rim so you now where they belong.
    In my 10yrs+ expierience from tyre fitting mopeds to airplanes ive seen my share of bad and good fitments off rims.
    enjoy the work.
    peeace
  6. acline

acline New Member

good question, i have a stock 2005 z71 quadcab 4x4 i am wondering biggest tire without lift, I am planning a 6 in suspension though