Tire Review Firestone Destinatiion LE

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Camaro69car, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Size 235/60/17

Vehicle 2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport LT V6

Rating 2/5 Smileys :happy: :happy::gasp::gasp::gasp:

Driving Style : VERY SPIRITED

The Good:

These tires are very quiet on the road and give a comfortable ride. They are okay on the treadwear not the greatest (got about 20K per set out of my last vehicle) I'm at about 20K miles on my truck now and still have a decent amount of tread left. The tires held pretty good on the light snow/sleet I experienced on my trip to Kentucky.

The Bad:

Traction is an issue, with the mild Off-Roading I have done in the vehicle (driving in medians / lawns) I cannot get good enough traction, and thats an issue because my car has no tow hooks. Traction off the line is insanely terrible, I'm not expecting for it to hook up with me flooring it off the line, but I should not be spinning tires while shifting into second gear.

The Ugly:

With all the rain in my area (SE VA) these tires hydroplane new. I have never had a problem with hydroplaning on any other vehicle I have driven until I these firestones. Wet weather traction is a MAJOR issue, if the roads are wet, be ready to slip and slide.

Trying to find some nicer tires for when tax season comes. Trying to go just a little bit wider if I can find them, and with a bit beefier tread.

I need good tires that last long.

EDIT:

I will update this as time goes on

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Man I hate to hear you had bad performance with those Destination LE's camaro, I ran them on my 07 trailblazer and loved them, we dont get alot of winter weather in Oklahoma, but we get 2 to 10 inches a few times a year, and well, they performed fine in those situations, they are very quiet on the road with the noise reduction patch in them, I had no wet weather issues, ie: slipping, braking or hydroplane effects, I put them on at 40k and ran them two years before selling my trailblazer , In fact I wanted them for my HHR but could not get them and went with the firehawk(50 series) which is very much like the destination LE's. Traction and performance was just not an issue , Comes with a tread wear warranty of 60 k miles. No I do not work for Firestone, I just liked my Destination LE's under many different driving conditons, I would buy them again if I had an SUV.

3. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Wow, same tire and two completely different experiences. The only Firestone tires i ever used were on my work truck. Transforcer A/T, load range E and i loved the way they performed

4. Camaro69car

@summitwhite11

Driving conditions are pretty rough here, especially in the rain. my old car had General Altimax HP's and those were some sweet rain tires. When it rains, it pours here. these Destinations just dont stick enough when its wet out, I'm constantly trying to keep the RPM's below 2500 when it rains because I'll spin tires. last rain storm I was in 3rd gear at about 3000 RPM and it started spinning tires.

@BRB46

Everyone I knows has good luck with Firestones, I get good luck with BFG's, Nitto's, and Michelin's.

5. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I hear ya guy's, it sucks having to drive with a set of tires you cant trust, been there dont that.

6. Camaro69car

Indeed. I just cant wait for my tax returns. Just gotta find some Nittos that will fit or some nice BFG off-road style tires. Dont care too much about ride, just need grip.

7. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

that's really strange that the LE's are so bad for you. they are the highest consumer-rated tire on tire rack, with 5 star ratings from Maine to Florida. Wonder if you got a tire or two with a tread problem...

8. ElbowJoe

ElbowJoe Member

I am typically a Michelin man (XLT MS), getting approx 90K on each of the 3 sets I have owned - but WOW the prices certainly have gone up. This year when the Suburban needed new shoes, I did a lot of research - including talking to my neighbors who had gone to Firestone Destinations and purchased a set of Firestone Destination LE's. So far so good. I have not noticed them being any "slippery-er" than my Michelins and so far the tread wear seems to be fine. The ride is great and traction in snow seems to be as good or better than the Michelins.

I do mostly paved road driving but get out hunting a fair amount in the mud and snow.

I don't expect to get 90K out of them but - I don't see why I shouldn't get the 60K they are rated for. At a couple hundred dollars less than current Michelins - I think it is about a wash or a little better deal on the Firestones.

9. Camaro69car

I'm actually thinking about contacting Firestone about these. Hydroplaning is a MAJOR issue for me, which could be because of the area I live in. if the puddle is 1" deep, I about lose my truck. They just don't channel enough water out of the way. My mom has General Altimax HP's on her Endeavor, and It's like the rain isn't even there.

Wish me luck.

10. Camaro69car

UPDATE:

These tires held their own today.

About average on snowy roads. nothing too deep. just had a little difficulty getting going, but once I was rolling, I was alright.