Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire selection....

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mebcop, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mebcop

mebcop New Member

Hey Guys, new to the forum. I just bought a 1999 Silverado 2500 and I would like to put some beefier tires on it. I would really like to run 285/75/16's but I keep hearing conflicting suggestions. I am including a pic of my truck just to show what I'm working with.

My wife gets great deals on Dick Cepek and Maxxis tires through where she works, so I was looking at the DC mud country's or the Maxxis Bighorns...

I read a couple places that you just cant put 285's on but then I talk to my buddy who owns a garage and he says they've put 285's on a TON of silverado's without lifts and he's only had a rubbing issue once...

Thanx for any help guys!

[​IMG]

I would LOVE some 35's but I got a bad feeling I'd need to do too much to fit them....
  2. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think you'd be able to run 285's with a heavyduty, and your right to fit 35's you gonna need a six inch lift! Someone will be able to give you a better answer than me so good luck and post some more pics after the change!!
  3. mebcop

mebcop New Member

Thanx Shorty.... BTW, you have an AWESOME looking truck!
  4. Blackmax200

Blackmax200 New Member

I have a 2500 as you do and you are right that the stock 245-75x16's look horrible in the wheel wells. I have been doing research on this subject.
    The 285's should fit fine, BUT you should replace the wheels. The stockers are 6.5 wide and the 285's really should have an 8 inch wide wheel.
    So if you go in that direction, be careful of the backspacing on the wheels you get. That measurement will center the tire in the center of the
    maximum steering clearance within the front wheel wells.
    The nice thing is that the 2500 has a taller frame than a 1500, so there is more clearance to play with.
    Hope this helps, and let us know how you make out.
  5. 99silv53

99silv53 New Member

Here you go... im riding 285/75/16s and this is a 1500 with nothing done to it that i know, Maybe a leveling kit. But it looks good and i like it. U probably already bought ur tires so this might not be of use now but for future people here u go

[​IMG]
  6. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think you should be fine since you have a 2500, but you are right on the 35's. I put 35's on my 1500 with a 6 inch lift and still rubbed (I only went with 5 inch backspacing), so had to go up another inch and a half to keep from rubbing.
  7. jrsbmw

jrsbmw New Member

I just put Kumho 285 75 R16's on my 94 Silverado with no problem. Very happy with them.
  8. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

35s

there is a guy on here running 315/75/16 with just a rough country leveling kit, and he is a 1500. those are roughly 34.6 inches. I think what width and offset rim you run makes just as big a difference as what size tire, as he is running stock rims. He said he had to do just a little trimming. I will note, however, that is an extremely wide tire for such a small rim