1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tire sensors in 2010 Silverado after new wheels

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BigDogTruck, Dec 17, 2010.

1. BigDogTruck

BigDogTruck New Member

Happy Holidays Everyone

I have a 2010 Silverado with the tire pressure sensors in the 20" wheels. I changed to 17" wheels and AT tires for the Winter without the tire sensors. The dash (DIC) indicates a tire sensor problem and a idiot light comes on.
    Is there a way to shut this off until Spring, when I put back on the 20" wheels with the sensors?

Thanks in advance
    Bill Brook Park, OH
    BigDogTruck

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Just do what I did... Put some black tape in front of the light.. But I just got the new valves from GM with the screws in the back so now when I change the tires and rims for the Winter and Summer I can unscrew the TPM's and put them in the other tires.. Takes about 10 mins to do

3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Thats some cool info,didn't know GM came out with those valves.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yep... Sorry I don't have the part # But they are only about $3.50 ea and the sensors screw right on them.. Just have them on both sets of rims..

5. BigDogTruck

BigDogTruck New Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like the way to go! I'm just a little confused about the screw answer. Are the sensors inside the wheel(the valve stem unit)? What are you screwing on to the other wheels? Sorry for being dumb about this!
    Thanks again.
    Bill

6. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

the sensors are inside the wheels and screw onto the end of your valve stems. you cannot turn the light off without having sensors on your vehicle

7. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

Look for a fuse or use a scanner .Chance's are there are no fuse's that directly affect the light. But there are ways to turn the ligght off. head to your local tire store and ask them. If they don't know how to, then there idiots.

The only way to reset a GM sensor is to reset it with a programer ( local tire store have them) and they will individually reset the sensors.

TPMS sensors suck btw. They cause issue's when trying to remove them. The bolt that holds the sensors in place will either be stuck or striped. Always always go with a rubber valve. Just don't be an idiot and never check your air. Always check your air after any cold spell comes through and after an oil change.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

I have two sets of wheels (summer and winter) for my 1500. They both have sensors in them and the numbers are cloned (same in both sets). They ae Orange Electronics sensors (SC4101) and I have programmed the sensors to be identical to the OEM sensors. Now when I change out my wheels, The ECU does not need to be reprogrammed.

Total cost was not too bad either, 4X sensors $150, Orange OPSS Gen II programmer $200. I will never need to get them done again and the sensor programmer can be used on all tpms vehicles to read and diagnose the sensors. If you need to replace a sensor you ust need to get a programmable one and clone the old ones ID# into it. I also bought several spare valve stems for both the OE sensors and the Orange sensors so I'll never be stuck. BTW, the Orange valve stems are also now available in black.