1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire size fitment question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by lifted03z71, Dec 20, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. lifted03z71

lifted03z71 New Member

hi i have a 2003 lifted chevy truck with a 6 in superlift and 3 in body lift, i need new tires and was wondering if a 37 14.50 would fit under it without rubbing. i have 35 12.50's on it now my wheels are 10 in wide. need some advice.
    thanks
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome! :great:

I'd expect you'd have to trim. However, that's just a suspicion, as I've not dealt with tires that large, before. By the way, I seriously hope you're changing your gear ratios as you're moving up (so that your truck maintains some low-end grunt instead of becoming a dog) and that this is on a 2500 HD or better and not a 10-bolt 1500! (I'd be worried about the rear diff on a 1500 and also concerned about snapped axles on a 1500...)
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard............. :glasses:
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

:sign0016:to the GMTC
  6. BillM

BillM Member 100 Posts

I can't answer that, but welcome to the club.
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thread title changed to relate to topic and moved to this section.
  8. lifted03z71

lifted03z71 New Member

The truck is a 1500 with stock gears and axles, there's 186k on the truck now and hasn't had any problems as far as axles go, thanks for the help
  9. weswins

weswins New Member

Hey, I work at a truck accessory shop and can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that those tires WILL RUB.
    This being said, they will rub on the rear of the splash guards on the front wheel wells and a small amount on the front bumper. If you do not trim these parts, your tires will quickly take care of that for you the first time you head offroad.
    As far as axles, drive it nicely, dont try burnouts on dry pavement and dont expect much longevity on hardware if you wheel it offroad.

After all that, do it and enjoy it, there isnt much harm you can do in upsizing tires after 35's, the stress is already there.
  10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

With stock gears (I'm assuming 3:73s?), your truck is pretty sluggish with those 35s already. As @SurrealOne mentions, a changing of the gears should be something you are considering as well if you are moving up another 2" or so in diameter.

There is also a rule of thumb regarding tire width as it relates to rim width. I can't remember exactly what it is (someone will probably respond with the info if you need it) but I think if the tire is 4 1/2" wider than the rim, that may be too much and you'll have to change rims as well.