Tire size fitment question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by lifted03z71, Dec 20, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The best rule of thumb is to check with the manufacturer as to the maximum size tire for which a wheel is designed ... and stay within that spec. :)

You haven't stressed it, yet. If you move to shorter gears to restore lost torque and add even more stress with 37's (heavier than your 35's) and then go wheel it in mud pits or the like because you have the 37's to do it ... the axle and diff will be at risk, as what's in a 1500 is lighter duty than what's in 2500's. That's all I was trying to warn you about. If you just want a pavement monster you should have no problems...

2. lifted03z71

lifted03z71 New Member

If I upgraded to a 37 12.50 would the tires still rub? I trimmed the front bumper on the bottom so that it would eliminate any rubbing on the bumpe

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's tough to say. Even though your width would remain the same as what you currently have, you'd be increasing the diameter by 2 more inches, which could have interesting effects when you've got the wheel turned all the way in one direction, when your shocks are compressed, and most probably when both occur at the same time.

You should probably take some measurements with your truck in each of those conditions and see if you have 2 more inches of clearance. It won't be a perfect answer but it'll give you a pretty good idea of whether or not you've got more trimming to do if you upsize by another 2 inches in diameter.

4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

With tires the size you are looking into it isn't the back I would be the most concerned with. It's the front! The front IFS suspension is at the upper range of being capable with 35's. 37's to me is asking for trouble. Why? The added weight of the tire which adds additional stress to what concider a "weak" suspension. If you plan to wheel this at all you will be replacing parts real quick.